Saturday, July 16, 2016

So many good people

We had a crazy event happen in the life of our family this week.  We were on a family float trip in Desolation Canyon on the Green River in Utah with some long time friends of ours the Nielsens and Taylors.  It was Jake's and my first time on a week long float down a river.  Brad, Jordan, Kenzie, Ben and Riley have all been down the Salmon River with Brad and these two families several times prior to this.  I was nervous...not for the water that we'd find there but for the inability to use a shower, for the mosquitos and for having to use the dreaded groover.  Oh, and once you put on the river, there was no getting out.  You were there for the week whether you wanted to be or not because there is no access points for 100 miles on this float.  We put on the river early Tuesday morning beginning our adventure.  I actually found myself enjoying the calmness of the day immensely despite the primitive circumstances.  The company was good, the landscape amazing, the weather beautiful and the water warm...and plus no laundry and Brad did all the cooking.  The men of the group were excited because according to them that was the most "boring" day of the river and if I enjoyed that I certainly would enjoy the following days.  (They may have been worrying about bringing their wives primitive camping just a little).  We woke up Wednesday morning and launched early to get some mileage past us.



About two hours into our morning float, Brad decided he needed to cool off in the river.  He was about to dive in head first when he was warned by a fellow traveler, Hadyn, that the water was shallow and to be careful.  Hadyn was swimming 10 feet away in 5 feet of water.  Brad opted for the safer choice of feet first.  Unfortunately, the murky water hid the eight inch depth of the water.  The sand bars in desolation canyon form solid like concrete.  Jumping only three feet, he hit at just the right angle rotating the ankle inward and pinning the heel against his butt.  He lifted himself immediately back into the boat telling Jake to move that he had a broken leg.  The solemnity of the group changed quickly as we all realized Brad was not joking and that he truly had broken his leg.    We were able to get all the boats over and beached as we further figured out what to do.  Not knowing the severity of the break, and knowing that being down an oarsman would put the whole group at risk, Brad instructed us to splint him up so he could row us out.  Unfortunately for us, we did not have a splint because Brad, for the first time, had decided to take the splint out of his medic bag for the trip because in 16 years he had never had to use it.  Lucky for us, just as we needed it, a boating group passed us by and gave us their splint.  Jason and Nathan, the men of the group, began to do just as Brad instructed.  As  we were splinting the leg with river straps for support, Brad informed us that the bone was completely severed and we all realized the break was much more serious than at first we had imagined.  Some quick decisions had to be made.  We knew Brad couldn't row.  Our choices were to have him on the front of the boat and have me row us out, or contact a helicopter via the spot satellite messenger that Jason had on his person.  Several factors weighed into our decision and we decided to use the spot which sent out a signal for help to all first response teams in the area.

Jason pushing the button for the helicopter

Jason, Nathan and I wrapping the splint.  We used umbrella poles and river straps.

Finished product

As we finished the splint, Tami and Amy (the moms of the group) made lunch for everyone and kept everyone cool from the sun.  Autumn and Jordan stood over us all with umbrellas for shade as we worked on Brad in the hot afternoon sun.  Hadyn found Autumn's mirror (which he had teased her mercilessly about bringing) and shined it above and made a large X in the sand for the helicopter to see. Everyone pulled together and helped where they could.  Brad was able to stay calm and alert, even joking a little during the whole process.  That being said, there were several cries of anguish and most of us had to look away at one moment or another as he had to endure high levels of pain from the instability of the bones as we splinted his leg.  While waiting we decided what we would do if no one responded, who would go with Brad if someone did respond and how we would get the rest of the group down the river.  It was decided I would definitely need to go with Brad in case there was need of surgery, which we were pretty certain would be needed, and I would take my son, Ben, with me because he had a skin infection on his head that I didn't want to get worse without Brad being available for medical advice.  Two and a half hours after we pushed the button for help, a helicopter landed on the large sandbar we had marooned at.  It was not Life Flight but it was the Salt Lake County Highway Patrol Search and Rescue Helicopter.  When they landed they told us we had two options.  We could call for Life Flight if we felt like we needed medical assistance but since we had splinted his leg so well they offered us the option of flying him out using their services.  Unable to fit both Brad and I in the helicopter due to his injury, they even offered to come back a second time to fly out Ben and I.  We decided to take them up on their offer as they were a public service and it wouldn't cost us any money for the rescue out.  One of the rescuers, Brett, stayed with the group as the other two police officers flew Brad out to the closest hospital, Castleview, in Price, Utah.  A very short time later they returned for Ben, Jake and I.  I had decided at this point to pull Jake out also since he is only 8 and they had told me there was room for him.  As I boarded the helicopter I left my three remaining children, Jordan, McKenzie and Riley on the river with these two very capable and good families to finish the float down the green.  My prayers were with them as I knew the trip out would not be easy on anyone.

Arriving in Price I had $100 in cash that Jason had lent me and no transportation.  The Salt Lake County Highway Patrol Search and Rescue landed at the airport and had arranged for me to be escorted to the hospital by the Carbon County Police.  Several airport employees also offered their services to me as everyone realized I was coming out of the canyon with nothing. I arrived at the hospital where everyone seemed to recognize me immediately as the wife and directed me to Brad's room.  By this time the emergency doctor had seen him, he had been put on pain medication, the orthopedist was in the room discussing our options for healing and Brad had been in touch with our close friend Nick to ask advice on whether to have the surgery there in Price or return to our home town.  The diagnosis was a spiral fracture of the tibia and fibula.  On landing the impact had twisted Brad's leg like one would to wring out a wet rag, breaking both the tibia bone and smaller fibula bone.  Nick, who is a podiatrist and works closely with the local orthopedic group in our community, was able to have the orthopedist review the xrays, advised us to return to home, and set up a meeting with Dr. Hammond  setting the ball in motion for surgery the very next day in our home town.    Nick didn't stop there though.  He sent his father from Moab, two hours away, to pick us up in Price.  He then had his brother, Quinn, drive out to Moab to meet his father and transfer us home.  Both of these good people responded instantly without hesitation.  We arrived home at 2 AM Thursday morning.

As soon as we could get there Thursday morning we were asked to go into see Dr. Hammond so he could make sure we would be able to operate that same day.  Swelling of the area can complicate things so that a doctor cannot perform surgery until up two weeks later if it is too severe. Dr. Hammond had to check the leg to make sure the swelling had not gotten out of hand yet.  He was able to see us around 10 am Thursday and scheduled Brad for surgery at 4:30 PM that very day.  We were fortunate to get in so quickly and grateful to Dr. Hammond who stayed with us until late that night operating.  I was also able to contact our staff that day and they were able to cancel Brad's patients for the next two weeks as he is instructed to rest and heal.

Retelling this story this morning to one of our patients that I met in the local grocery store parking lot they asked me what lesson I had learned.  I told him I had learned that there are so many good people who come to your aid in the time of need, so many helping hands that are there to assist and lift you.  We could not have gotten through this without the others around us.  So to end my blog here is who I wish to thank:

To Haydn.  Thank you for warning Brad of the shallowness of the river.  I cannot imagine the situation we would have been in had he dived head first.

To the group of boaters that gave us the splint.  Thank you.

Jason and Nathan and their families for being life long friends.  For having the spot with you.  For being willing to put on a splint under instruction of my husband and remaining calm despite their insecurities in the lack of medical knowledge they hold.  For the priesthood blessing they were able to give.  For their emergency money that they gladly gave me.  For the helpfulness of every single person in getting through that harrowing morning.  For making sure I had money.  For the willingness to take my children down the river and for the peace of mind it gave me knowing that they couldn't be in more capable hands.



The Salt Lake County High Patrol/Search and Rescue and Carbon County Police.  You'll never know the increased buoy of hope you gave all of us as you flew into that canyon.  Thank you for your service, for what you do to help others, for the arrangement you made to have me escorted to the hospital, for the protection you offer all.  I, in the midst of the turmoil for police officers, am so grateful you are here for all of us.  You don't get recognized enough for the good you do.

The lady at the airport that offered me a ride to the hospital.  Although I didn't take the ride, I thank you for your willingness to help in my time of need.

To the nurses and doctors at Castleview hospital who helped us. You too, are a group thanked little for what you do.  We recognize the help and time you gave our family that day.  Thank you.  A special thank you to the nurse who saw me walking from the hospital to the pharmacy to get Brad's medicines and offered me a ride and to the pharmacy tech (or pharmacist) who offered me a ride back.

To Mel.  Thank you for taking time out of your day to come get us and deliver us to Moab.

To Quinn.  Thank you for driving us home in the middle of the night.

To Dr. Hammond.  Thank you for getting us into surgery and staying late.

To my staff, friends, patients and family thank you for all the prayers, the support, the phone calls, the worries.  The willingness to leave everything you are doing and offer help if I needed.

To Kelly.  Thank your for updating me on the group's  progress down the river.

To Ron and Cleta.  Thank you for driving to Green River to bring my children home.

To Nick and Lisa.  You did so much.  Thank you for being there to consult with about the surgery.  For setting us up with Dr. Hammond.  For making the arrangements to get us home.  For worrying about how our office will run when we are out.  For going so much out of your way to help. 

To all, Magic Johnson said, "When you face a crisis, you know who your true friends are."  Thank you for being our friends during this time.  You are so good.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this sis. I'm so grateful that I'm your brother. You are married to a great man and I'm so glad he's ok. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Chelsey. I saw Tami's post and was wondering who had the broken leg. Tami didn't mention who they were rafting with but I suspected that it was your group. I know Brad and he's glad if it had to happen better him than one of the kids. I also know how hard Brads head is so a head first approach may have had a better outcome. Seriously though, We would have been happy to come and get you guys in Price and get you home. So happy you all made it and with one heck of a story to tell. Love you all. The Walker clan. P.S. I will be sharing this with all the kids today when they come over.

    ReplyDelete