Happy New Year! I know I'm one day late, but yesterday was an eventful day with us all trying to cram in every last minute we could with Dad before he left for Colorado Springs...without us...and then me trying to clean up the mess left behind...crying, cranky kids. Yes, we are here without Brad for at least a month *sigh*. I know others have done it. I know, I can do it. I think of those military wives and honestly, I don't know how they DO do it. I remember when I left Idaho Falls I had a friend who taught with me who was in the ROTC and was leaving his family (wife with 4 kids) for 2 years to go to Iraq. 2 YEARS...not 1-3 months like I have it. IRAQ...I don't need to say more. I just need to count my blessings.
Christmas was quite the success though. I'm so glad for growing up as the daughter of a teacher, with a mom who didn't work and for those dental school years. Because of my past, I shop in a frugal manner (I swear sometimes Brad thinks I'm crazy) even when we do have money. So, when Brad brought home his lay-off letter this last October I was extremely grateful for the stash of target toys that I bought at 75% off last year, the jammies I bought from Kohls on clearance, my swag bucks amazon.com gift cards and Pinecone survey money. Because of all this I was able to spend only $30 during our period of unemployment on Christmas. The kids added some fun gifts too, a lot of their own toys or books wrapped up and put under the tree for someone else. Kenzie made Brad a memory bead ring to put with his wedding ring that Brad keeps on a string in the car so he can remember her when he is gone. She gave me a homemade bead necklace. It was very sweet. My favorite gift though, came from Jordan (a gift which I think he has already forgotten he gave.) You see, in our house the kids have to earn "money" to be able to do anything fun: play with friends, play video games, read books (for Kenzie only because she is book crazy right now and would read all day if I let her), watch movies, etc... For every 5 minutes of work they do (and it has to be good work or they get "money" deducted) they earn $1. For every 5 minutes of play they want they lose $1 (also they lose money for fighting, etc... but I don't need to get into that). Anyway, it's working GREAT. My house is much more clean than it has ever been. So, Jordan, being the most dilligent about this system and knowing I love coupons wrote me about 20 coupons in his own writing. "1 hour of free work from Jordan, redeem: once, valid: forever" "1 hour of 1/2 work from Jordan, redeem: once, valid: forever". It made me laugh. I wish I would have taken a picture but ...I did not think of it and the coupons went in the trash.
The kids making their own gifts to put under the tree. I guess Jake got a little tuckered out :)
Brad was gone up until Christmas Eve working on getting employment and so a lot of the Christmas week activities I had to do on my own. I drove the kids around to see the lights, we made Christmas cookies together and just had lots of fun playing Karaoke revolution, lego star wars and watching movies. Dad arrived home in the evening on Christmas Eve and we had our traditional nativity and opening of 1 present under the tree. Christmas morning Brad and I were awoken by the pitter patter of little feet and Riley's awe-filled "Wow" (I'm going to have to visit all my grandchildren in their homes on Christmas just so I can still hear that when I have no young kids. It really brings to life the magic of giving.) After opening our Christmas presents we loaded up the Suburban and took off to Idaho Falls for a blitz visit to see grandparents and cousins.
I'm waxing long so I'm going to end now. I hope your Christmas was as enjoyable as ours!
We will pray for Colorado. Sure would be fun to have you end up there. We would love to come visit someday if you'd like. I hope that Brad comes home soon and you survive the month. Being a single parent stinks. But hopefully this time will lead to exciting adventures to come and he'll find an awesome job that he loves with all his heart!!! You guys have weathered a tough season with grace. That takes some major courage. Keep it up. And Best Wishes To Come
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas. Hang in there with Brad gone. Just because other people do it for years and even months doesn't mean it will be any less difficult for you. I hope you have more good days than bad. You and your family are in our prayers and we will continue to pray for Brad on the job hunt.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that you enjoyed the holidays and good luck over the next little while. Hopefully something will work out soon. You have already been through enough of this stuff. I will be thinking of you!!! Hang in there.
ReplyDelete