Sunday, September 13, 2015

Advice for my children

Advice #1:  Remember that living a good life and being obedient to God's commandments does not result in a life free from trials.  I think as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints we assume this.  I assume this.  We assume, erroneously, that being blessed equates to prosperity and ease.  The blessings the Lord promises are of peace, not ease...there's a huge difference.  There are so many examples of righteous people who face trials in the scriptures, but my favorite is the story of the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's who Ammon and his brother's taught.  After they join the church, they are faced with losing their lives to keep the covenant that they made with God. 

"Now when the people saw that they were coming against them they went out to meet them, and prostrated themselves before them to the earth, and began to call on the name of the Lord; and thus they were in this attitude when the Lamanites began to fall upon them,"

Don't you think this would be a good time for the Lord to step in and save their lives?  Instead it continues, "and began to slay them with the sword.And thus without meeting any resistance, they did slay a thousand and five of them"


Advice #2:  Remember our view is limited.  The Lord's view is eternal.  Again, back to the scripture story I just referenced.  The deaths of these people as they refused to break the covenant that they had made with Heavenly Father is so tragic.  However, the story doesn't end there.  It continues, "Now when the Lamanites saw that their brethren would not flee from the sword, neither would they turn aside to the right hand or to the left, but that they would lie down and perish, and praised God even in the very act of perishing under the sword—
 24 Now when the Lamanites saw this they did forbear from slaying them; and there were many whose hearts had swollen in them for those of their brethren who had fallen under the sword, for they repented of the things which they had done.
 25 And it came to pass that they threw down their weapons of war, and they would not take them again, for they were stung for the murders which they had committed; and they came down even as their brethren, relying upon the mercies of those whose arms were lifted to slay them.
 26 And it came to pass that the people of God were joined that day by more than the number who had been slain; and those who had been slain were righteous people, therefore we have no reason to doubt but what they were saved.
 27 And there was not a wicked man slain among them; but there were more than a thousand brought to the knowledge of the truth; thus we see that the Lord worketh in many ways to the salvation of his people."

Rembember the Lord worketh in many ways to the salvation of his people.

Advice #3:  It's hard to let go and trust in the Lord, but in the end that is where true peace and happiness comes from.  And truly, it is his plan...not ours so trust it and look to him.  There are so many things that I do not understand.  Maybe the older we get, the more we know how little we do know.  I hold on to what I do know with all my strength and I trust...many times blindly...and that is what moves me forward.  It reminds me of what is said in this scripture, "And it came to pass that I beheld others pressing forward, and they came forth and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press forward through the mist of darkness, clinging to the rod of iron, even until they did come forth and partake of the fruit of the tree."  Clinging to the rod of iron is trusting in what the Lord has said, trusting in his knowledge and keeping his commandments.  My friend once said we all have dips in our testimony and all question whether we have made the right choice in being here, it is at these times that we must remember and hold to the things we do know are true.

Advice #4:  The only thing we can do to change a person is love them.  I believe that God's greatest miracle is that he can take people like you and me, people who think different, act different, talk different and through love create beautiful things. "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal."  When I try to teach someone, help someone, befriend someone who I truly do not love I am just making noise.  Maybe sometimes that is what you hear from me when, as a parent, I make mistakes...and I know I do.  But, "charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
 46 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail—
 47 But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever"

Advice #5:  Charity is something that must be developed.  It is not our natural tendency to be charitable.  "For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father."

"We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion."

Despite our natural tendencies charity is something that we can obtain.

"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure."

I know that when I am truly following Jesus Christ I am blessed with more charity.  When I was on my mission it was amazing the love I felt for people I had never met.  It was a true gift from Heavenly Father to help me teach his gospel to those who were seeking for it.

Final advice:  Remember at all times, despite your trials, your imperfections, or your situation in life the lord knows you and loves you.  Even when at times you feel you are alone, he is there.  I want you to know that in life you will have ups and downs.  You will feel near to the Savior at times and you will feel far from the savior at times.   When we decide to turn to him he is always turned toward us.  He doesn't let anger, jealousy, hurt feelings get in the way of that relationship.  "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."  Elder Uchtdorf said it so elequently, "Think of the purest, most all-consuming love you can imagine. Now multiply that love by an infinite amount—that is the measure of God’s love for you. 7
God does not look on the outward appearance. 8 I believe that He doesn’t care one bit if we live in a castle or a cottage, if we are handsome or homely, if we are famous or forgotten. Though we are incomplete, God loves us completely. Though we are imperfect, He loves us perfectly. Though we may feel lost and without compass, God’s love encompasses us completely.
He loves us because He is filled with an infinite measure of holy, pure, and indescribable love. We are important to God not because of our résumé but because we are His children. He loves every one of us, even those who are flawed, rejected, awkward, sorrowful, or broken. God’s love is so great that He loves even the proud, the selfish, the arrogant, and the wicked.
What this means is that, regardless of our current state, there is hope for us. No matter our distress, no matter our sorrow, no matter our mistakes, our infinitely compassionate Heavenly Father desires that we draw near to Him so that He can draw near to us."

Know that I love you and will always be there for you.  You truly are my joy.  And I always want you to be happy.



Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment