Sunday, August 21, 2016

Summer days....drifting away

 The sun flowers are up.  They are my favorite flower and they pepper the roads everywhere here.




And while I love them, I also hate to see them...cause as soon as they are gone...the summer is too.

I took this picture of Kenzie yesterday.

It immediately reminded me of this picture that Cleta took of her when she was two.


Where does time go? *sigh*

This spring a lot of time was spent on dirt bikes with the boys and Brad.  Bishop Phillips, a good friend that my boys ride with, caught a great picture of Brad and Jordan together.  




I love the picture.  I love the beauty of our valley and I love the closeness that comes through between Brad and Jordan.  I love that my husband plays with our children.  With this leg break of his, losing this is what is the most difficult for him. Activities where he bonds so intimately with the kids, like this dirt biking, he's unable to do for a while. It hits him especially hard knowing that his time now with Jordan is so limited.   

Of course, he's still doing everything he can to make sure my kids are still getting out.  Just the other day we took the kids to the dirt bike track in Aztec.  And Brad came out with his crutches and chair set-up for leg elevation.  Of course, after watching Riley buzz around for a little bit, Brad couldn't resist getting on his bike to take some cool "recovery" pictures. 

Yes, he actually did ride it.  

He's also sent the kids out to the river 2-3 times a week to kayak together.  Riley, Ben and Jordan are all steadily improving their river skills.

Ben:


 Jordan:



Riley:


And while Jake is still content to boogie board in the river,


McKenzie has decided to start learning the skills needed to kayak. 


Lucky for her, she has a great team of coaches.  Dad coaches and watches from the side...




while the assistant coaches are in the water helping.

Got to love the dumbfounded look on Jordan's face along with the pink life jacket.

 The toughest part of kayaking is mastering a combat roll.  





With Jordan's help, Kenzie almost has it down :)

Again, lest all you think we do is play, let me show you some of the work aspects we have been mastering.

We (Ben, Riley, Jake and I) are all spending a lot of time practicing our guitars.  

Jake is the only one I have captured on film :/  I'm the worst about taking pictures.  I should also mention here that Kenzie spends a lot of the time on the piano and singing.  Her latest piece of mastery is playing and singing House of the Rising Sun and well, she's gotten quite good.

Ben has been working on building a tree house in his spare time this summer.  Brad helps him mark and cut the pieces of wood he needs to size.




After, he and Riley drag the boards up and nail them into place.



I also have them cleaning a lot.  So much so that Kenzie said to me yesterday, "You are the most obsessed parent with cleaning that I know.  We are the only children that have to work this hard!"  She was mad at me for quite a while.  This is where she goes when she's mad at me to contemplate things.

Of course, who wouldn't want to go there and contemplate, especially when such beauty surrounds you.


This is her, "I'm still mad at you Mom so don't try to be nice to me" look.


 Usually though if I'm nice enough I do get a smile from her in the end.


Even if I am a mean, demanding, clean freak of a Mom :)

The kids biggest accomplishment this summer is the porch.  They are in the process of planing, sanding and staining every board.  The front is already finished.






The side is ready for stain.


And the back, well everything still needs to be done there.


Overall, despite the broken leg and only one ski boat trip, our summer's been a happy one.


No comments:

Post a Comment