Sunday, November 6, 2016

Halloween madness

It was a CRAZY, BUSY week for Brad and I.  Brad is finally up and moving around decently and so he recently (as in last week) decided we needed to take family pictures.  So last Thursday I contacted the photographer I wanted to use, who does it as a side job for her family, and we planned for yesterday (as in Saturday the 5th of November).  But as I got thinking about it more and more, trying to fit the pictures in with McKenzie's play that she had to be there at 5:00 pm for, it just didn't work.  So, then I realized that since the kids were off the full day on Halloween and we were only working until two, we could take family pictures before trick-or-treating started.  Unfortunately, I made that decision Sunday, the day before family pictures.  So last Sunday night I was scrambling to put outfits together for the family and realized I didn't have any.  So this is how my day went the following Monday.  Monday was payday, so I had to go to work and make sure all the payroll was done.  I finally finished payroll at 11:00.  I headed to the bank to deposit some checks (I finally was reimbursed by our health sharing plan for Brad's surgery), only realizing when I got there I had left some of the checks I needed in Brad's truck...ugh!  Back to the office and back to the bank.  As soon as I was done there I ran to the mall to get some outfits that were color coordinated.  We only have two stores here so selection is slim to none.  Luckily for me...I found enough.  I ran home trying on different outfits for the boys and found ones that worked.  I took a shower quickly again so I could have shiny hair for the pictures, blow dried my hair and left to parent teacher conferences.  Yes, I had scheduled them this same day.  After parent teacher conferences were finally done, I ran home, put on some makeup, rounded up the kids, saw that Ben had on the wrong outfit...oh well, no time for changing and headed down to the river for pictures.  Of course, I fight with McKenzie to get her to put on some makeup (which she never does), she concedes to me, but then puts on this dark, dark lipstick and says to me, "If you're going to make me put on makeup, I'm going the whole way." 

And of course, we end up fighting in the car over the dark lipstick she has on.  In the end, I got her to blot.

Here are some preview pictures that the photographer has sent me. 




Lucky for me, I don't look as frazzled as I felt.  After I headed to a tutoring session for my friend and then ran to catch up with the boys and Brad.  I didn't get to see any of the costumes to take pictures before the trick-or-treating happened.  Lucky for me, I have teenagers and they captured the moment.  Of course, they didn't go trick-or-treating but each of them had a party to attend.  Jordan went to a small group party with some church friends.  The group dressed up as the Men in Black.


Kenzie would have gone to that also, however, the theater group had a special theater party that night.  She attended that dressed as Mother Earth.

Yes, she went barefoot.

The boys, Ben and Riley were captured by Brad's cell phone.  Ben was V from the movie V for Vendetta.


Riley was a pirate.

Jake didn't get captured by Brad, I don't know why, so I got a picture of him once I caught up to the group.  Jake was a Ninja...you can't really see his costume well but he did look like a ninja.


I guess that is where iphones could improve is on their picture quality at night.

Now I have to brag a little bit here about my kids and say all the costumes were invented and made by them...except for Ben's wig and Kenzie's flower hair piece.  They spent weeks making the masks, swords, etc... the younger boys that is.  McKenzie and Jordan really just threw theirs together at the last second.

The rest of the week would have been pretty uneventful.  However, Wednesday morning we couldn't get Jordan's truck to start.  So, I had to be chauffeur again.  I forgot how much I was driving people around before Jordan started driving!  Wow!  I hope we have that car back soon.  And, this week was especially hard because McKenzie had tech week for her play.  A lot of late nights.  You remember last Friday that we were up until 2:00 with cue to cue, right?  Kenzie caught a picture as proof.


And even though it doesn't say it, that's 2:13 AM.  This week they weren't up as late, but 11:00 pm was the norm.  Here is her capture of that.


She'll make a good historian one day.  

At one of these long practices, she was a little discouraged (from being overtired) and we were texting back and forth.  At one point in the text I said, "I wish I was there to give you a hug right now."  She texted back, "You can't I'm too fat." and then sent me this picture of herself.


I laughed so hard when I saw it, that it changed my whole evening.  It takes quite the confidence to wear a big tomato costume on stage!  I loved it!  This week was opening night.  I refuse to go on opening night because they seem to still be working out all the kinks.  However, I was there for some fundraising and did sneak in to see a little of act II.  The kids did an amazing job and I'm excited to see the whole thing this Friday.  And when people ask her if that was her in the play I told her to tell them, "Yes!  I was the tomato...didn't you see me?"  Because really, how can you miss a big, red tomato!

No comments:

Post a Comment