Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday reflections: 7/24/2011

I know, you really missed the last two weeks of my lengthy chats on my blog, didn't ya?  Well for me, I enjoyed my break from the computer.  Okay, maybe the night we all slept in the car due to the wonderful rain, me sprawled on top of the blankets piled on top of the children's seats, looking like I was floating somehow magically (or maybe it looked like a scene from the princess and the pea and her piled matresses with the princess smashed up against the ceiling and the mattresses shifting constantly), maybe that night I would have rather been on the computer writing, maybe...

So, Brad brings home this big bag of leftovers from work on Friday.  A bag from Texas roadhouse with three doggy bags in it (is that the word you would use, doggy bags?  It doesn't quite look right).  You see, here at the office he works in, they buy him lunch when he works longer than a 6 hour shift, which he had three of this week.  I hate the long days when they come in a row like that...only when they come in a row.  I know, I'm spoiled.  I know other men work longer hours.  He doesn't work very many days past 5, has one day a week off, but when he works those 10-12 hour shifts it just seems like he's gone forever.  I digress, back to the doggy bags.  So I'm excited because usually he just brings home one box with half of his leftover steak in it...but Friday there are 3 and apparently it's been too long since he's taken me out on a date because the boxes just looked really appealing...until I opened one.


WHAT IS THAT?  I guess we need little containers full of sour cream, butter and ranch...cause we don't have that stuff already in our refrigerator????  Sometimes you got to wonder, don't you, what the heck your husband is thinking when he brings home two boxes full of these and 1/2 of his steak.  You got to wonder....

I'll just let you know here that I am not perfect.  I know, you must be suffering from shock at this confession, but really I'm not.  I struggle and sometimes I even get MAD at my husband and think he is a big jerk.  Now, I'm not going to admit to this very often, so enjoy this one time that I'm admitting this out loud in my blog.  Of course, it is never my fault, NEVER...until I read something like this from Pres. Monson, "Sisters, honor your husbands.  They need to hear a good word.  They need a friendly smile.  They need a warm expression of true love..."  and I think back on my actions of the week, and well, I'll just say this:  I could do better, really I could.

I've been in a cooking funk lately.  I don't know if it's just that it is summer, we don't have AC and I'm not the barbecuing type that has put me into this funk or what, but I have not been able to think of yummy meals to make.  We've been eating a lot of hot dogs, sandwiches and leftovers.  I don't know where the leftovers are coming from since I'm not cooking (maybe from Brad's work, HA!).  So I started surfing some food blogs that I have found and stumbled onto this blog http://thepioneerwoman.com/.  I'm not much of a "read a stranger's blog" person but I find her funny, her pictures beautiful and one of the recipe blogs that I really like strongly recommended the pioneer woman's recipes.  So I'm gonna try them.  Head on over there and give her a look.  I guarantee she'll make you laugh and you'll love it.  Be warned, you may spend hours there.  She has a lot of stuff.  You know, come to think of it, I'm always the last to discover these kind of blogs, so maybe you guys have already found her and I'm wasting my typing space.

I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The girl who played with Fire and The Hand That First Held Mine  over vacation.  While intriguing, these books have left me with the following question:  Does the average person really believe that the only moral obligation they have is to themselves, or is that what the authors would have us believe?  I have to believe that people are better than that. 

Jordan and Kenzie seem to fight constantly lately.  I'm hoping it's just an age thing and that eventually it will get better.  So I decided to move them into the same bedroom until they can learn to get along.  So last night, Jordan has a nightmare about me being a werewolf and then wakes up to the sound of our friendly neighbor raccoon walking around on the roof and scratching on his window.  Did you know raccoons can jump on roofs and climb trees?  Ours does.  Anyway, this really scared him and you know who talked him through it at 2:00 AM?  Not me, Kenzie.  Sometimes I think maybe I am doing some things right.

Last thing I want to write about tonight.  Jake is getting older.  He's 3, almost 4.  I don't know where the time is going.  I will admit that there are many things about having a young child that I thought I wouldn't miss and there are some things that I definitely do not miss(dirty diapers being one of them).  Now, as he is getting older and there is not another to replace him, I realize there are so, so many things I will miss.  He gives me what he calls "squish hugs".  I will miss his "squish hugs".  Do you think I can freeze time?  I'd like to.  I really think my kids are all the perfect ages right now and too soon, everything will change.  I guess I'll just have to change with it.

2 comments:

  1. I love pioneer women- it's one of those I really have to check often, it's so entertaining. I love all the sour cream and butter, I can't believe you didn't consider that a meal?! Kayden and Carter fight all the time too- I keep hoping it's an age thing too because they are driving me crazy, they better get used to each other because they are going to be spending a lot more time together when school starts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure that if mom and dad had put your husband and I in the same room together to work out our rivalry, the whole raccoon scratching and werewolf attack story would have gone very differently :)

    Love the Pioneer Woman.

    Texas Roadhouse tastes way way better in Texas, wish I could send you some.

    So sorry about the AC.

    And yes, freeze time. Three year olds are fantastic. We started, that mean's my husband while I can barely sit on a yoga ball for five minutes, cleaned out the baby storage to sell. Ripped my heart out it did. Can't stand that my three year old boy will be my last.

    Also, (I must be bored :) and lonely)...recipe for dinner. My neighbor made it. Unfortunately I don't have specifics. But one large pork loin in the crockpot. Pour a can of Coke, a couple healthy scoops of brown sugar and dump a cup or two of picante sauce. Add more if it later dries out and needs more sauce. Then cook all day until it can be shredded and left in the juices of the salsa, coke, brown sugar. Then heat a can of black beans, cook some uncle ben's rice, wash a ton of mixed greens lettuce, shred some pepperjack cheese, and pull out the sour cream. Spread cream on warmed tortillas. Line with shredded meat, beans, rice, pile on tons of greens and burrito wrap. Helps to half wrap the burrito with a paper towel to keep it together. Anyway. We liked it.

    Also seen it done with chicken. But I liked pork better. And it was best with those raw tortillas from Costco that you have to cook/fry yourself. I melt the cheese right on the tortilla as it cooks like an open quesadilla. Then pile on the toppings.

    Anyhow, there you go. I have a million other recipes from people who have dropped off fun meals, maybe I'll write them down.

    ReplyDelete