Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sunday Reflections 5/6/2011

We have bunnies everywhere in our yard and recently there's been baby bunnies.  All the kids have been trying to catch one.  Imagine their surprise when Dad had a little baby bunny waiting for them after school on Monday.  They held it and hugged it and then let it go.  And then washed their hands for a very, very long time.


Did you know that baby bunnies are called kittens?  Squirrels too.  I didn't.  I learned it from a book that Riley brought home to read from Kindergarten.  I've been learning a lot about animals from the books he brings home.  He always chooses the science readers.  I must have not paid much attention in my biology classes cause I'm learning too.

The following day Riley was stepping over a bike and fell and hit his head on the concrete.  My kitchen became a mini-surgical room as once again Brad had to stitch one of my boys up.

\


Riley was a good sport and had a smile on before



And a smile on after.  Not one tear was shed.


You never knew dentists could stictch so well, did you?  If you think about it though they do a lot of stitches at work.  Brad informed me that this was his 3rd set of stitches for the day.  Then, as an afterthought, said that he would have to teach his children how to do stitches so they could do the same for their own one day.  I don't know about you but I am always glad when I can avoid a trip to the quick care.

Brad's been on a dirt bike trip to Moab with Jordan this weekend so the kids and I have been enjoying eating what meals we want, watching movies and sleeping where we want.  Kenzie always wants to sleep with me.  I let her.  As a result, the boys are always wanting to sleep with me too and I always have to say no.   I know they are young, but if you start now...then one day you have to stop and explain why.  It's just easier to explain it all from the beginning and never worry at what age they should stop sleeping by you.  Ben was pacified when I told him he could sleep in the office.  I assumed he would sleep in the guest bed, since we have one and it is comfy.  Instead I found him sound asleep like this:


That's a bed made of a sled laid between two folding chairs and propped up on a storage box.  How he could have fallen asleep like this is beyond me.  I didn't have the heart to let him sleep there all night and moved him to his own bed.  Upon moving him I found this attached to his ear:


wadded up toilet paper secured with scotch tape.  I removed it also.  When I asked him about it in the morning he told me it was an ear plug because the ticking of the clock (which is right above where he made his makeshift bed) was keeping him awake.  I showed him where the real earplugs were for future reference.  I love the scotch tape...it doesn't get any better than that.

3 comments:

  1. I love Ben's creativity. It made me laugh. Also, I wish I could stitch up wounds like Brad. It sure would have come in handy a few times. Even more, though, I wish I could x-ray, set broken bones, and apply casts. Oh well! I do have enough experience with injuries to know when I need a Dr. (and not Dr. Mergenthaler the accounting professor).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wrote a long, witty comment only to find out I wasn't signed in and now I have to rewrite it. Well, the moment is passed, so I will say Ben is cool and so is Brad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the scotch tape ear plug. Sign him up to be a professor, we need more creativity--especially in accounting:).

    ReplyDelete