Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sunday Reflections 6/24/2012

I have no pictures today.  My camera is MIA.   I just know Brad has hidden it in one of his "special places".  I'm going to have to put a stop to him hiding things in "special places".

It's allergy season here and I am dying.  I've never lived in an area where I have been cursed with such bad allergies before I moved here...and for some reason none of the medications are helping.  As a result I find myself eagerly anticipating the first good freeze so it will kill whatever makes me suffer so.  Is it too early in summer for me to be mentioning that?

I had a bad mom day this week.  Of course, it didn't start out a bad mom day and I had every intention of making it an all-star mom day by taking the kids out to get treats but it all began to change with a severe allergy attack in Wal-mart which led to me needing a quick nap to clear my head only to be awakened by Ben jumping on top of me running away from a roaring Jordan and  upon this rude awakening discovering that my children were STILL playing the video game I had asked them to turn off an hour prior.  I ranted and raved and took away video games for the summer.  Although I have no regret about the video game ban, I always feel bad after ranting and raving.  It never seems to serve any purpose.    

Jake started riding the little 50 motorcycle that we own this last week.  As he rode round and round our circular driveway with Dad chasing behind him, holding onto his shirt and shouting instructions Jake was all smiles.  I guess this means he's left the world of little boys and crossed into the realm of the big boys now.  *sigh*

Brad and the boys made a potato-gun shooter this weekend.  It kept them all occupied for hours and as a result I was able to read Stephanie Nielson's Heaven is Here in its entirety this weekend.  I loved it. 

Jordan gave me quite the scare last week.  He and his friend had set up a zip line and while securing himself in the homemade harness he flipped over and hit his head.  I didn't think much of it when his friend gave me the briefing but then Jordan came back in, sat down and told me he didn't feel well.  He then asked me, "Mom, how did I hurt myself?"  I told him, "You hit your head."  And then he sat there for about a minute and repeated the question again, "Mom, how did I hurt myself."  This happened about 5 times before I thought to start asking him questions...simple ones like, "Where did I go this morning?" 
"I don't know."  "What did we do yesterday?"  "I can't remember."  I then explained that we went on a hike to a lake.  "Did we wade in the lake?"  "No."  "What day is it?"  "I don't know."  This continued on and on and I went all the way back 2 weeks before he could remember something.  Within an hour his short term memory had returned to normal and I didn't have to take him into the ER but  for a moment there I felt frightened that I may have lost my Jordan.   

I can only remember feeling that frightened one other time.  I don't believe I have ever written this down, so I'll share it with you now.  It happened in Las Vegas, Nevada.  Brad and I had just recently moved into our final home we rented while he was in dental school.  I was upstairs folding laundry on our couch and my children were on the other playing.  The couch that they were playing on was placed beneath a window and it was open and soon our neighbor's dog began to bark.  Ben, age 2 at this time, leaned on the screen so he could yell at the dog to stop barking.  As I turned to tell him to get down the screen popped out and out fell my Ben with it to the rocky ground 15 feet below.  My first thought was that I was going to go down and find my son dead.  I ran down my stairs and out the door to find Ben lethargic and slow but alive and breathing.  After a visit to the doctor, we found that Ben, though very sore and tender had no internal bleeding and no broken bones.  I, to this day, truly believe it was a miracle.  God intervened at that moment.  I don't know why Ben was the one to be saved, but I see no other way that he could have fallen 15 feet and not been injured.  In fact, that weekend on the news I heard of another boy who had been jumping on the bed with his brother and had fallen out the window and died.  You can be certain that since that day I am very aware of where my furniture is placed in relation to 2nd story windows. 

Experiences like these make me realize how much I value each of my children and their individual personalities.  I never want to lose even one of them.  Just even writing these experiences down has upset me. 

I think I will go and take each of them in my arms to tell them I love them and hug them for a moment.  They will probably wonder why such sentimentality at a moment when everyone's healthy, but sentimentality is a mother's prerogative, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment