Monday, March 22, 2010

Basketball

Anyone that knows me well knows that basketball was my first love. When I was little I would accompany my dad to the gym and watch his teams practice and play. My dad didn't really think girls should play when I was younger, (sorry Dad, but it's true) and never encouraged the girls that much. Fortunately for me, I had a younger brother that I ALWAYS played with and Dad spent a lot of time with him. So my brother and I played and played and played and we became quite good. Back then, it was my goal to be a professional player one day and be the first girl that dunked it. I really truly loved the sport. Of course, with motherhood and marriage a girl sometimes gives up those things that she loves. Basketball was one of those things I had to give up. While playing with the boys when you're single is all good and fun, it just doesn't seem quite....appropriate when you're married and it's hard to find a group of women who play. So twelve years...no basketball except to occassionally shoot around. So one day in church recently I hear a girl talk about how she and a bunch of women get together and play basketball. I perk up. I find out where and when they play. I invite myself and arrive the very next day. I didn't think I'd get any Real exercise, so I did a quick workout before. I was quite suprised when I found out the girls that play here really know how to play and get a decent workout moving the ball up and down the court. Though I can run for a solid hour or more I found myself that day gasping for breath as I sprinted back and forth, not accustomed to the quick sprinting you do on a court. They are incredible and I feel lucky to have found this group. Occasionally I'm amazed at the way my body can still remember how to move like it used to. My outside shot is WAY off, or maybe it's just my confidence after not playing for 12 years. I really should practice, but of course, who has the time when you have five kids and you try to squeeze in all the other things you should do? Besides, it's all just for fun now.


In my mind, I look this graceful when I play! lol :)

8 comments:

  1. "Wish I was a Mergenthaler
    Wish I was baller . . ."

    Think of how I feel married to that basketball brother . . .Everytime I try to shoot around for fun, I get a lesson . . . very intimidating. I'm glad you found a group to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea!! I loved, loved basketball too. I wish I would have known- we could have formed our own group to play. Although I am sure I would probably die getting up and down the court, but whatever, I would just be thrilled to be playing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonni,
    I feel for you. I heard about Christmas and Emily. Although, maybe she loves it like I did and then it's not so bad. I know I should be working more with my kids.

    Lindsey,
    I wish I would have known. All that time we missed out on playing together. I'm sure we could have rounded up a few more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you found a fun group. With all the mommy scrapbooking clubs there should be a mother's ultimate frisbee group or mom's basketball. We have a pretty competitive ward here and mom sports is hard core. Though I suck at basketball, I enjoy playing volleyball. Hope they keep playing and you get to relive your youth all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really glad you found that group. I used to feel really bad for you when you would talk about basketball, I could tell how much you missed it. Once I seriously thought about trying to get a group together for you to play with and then I never did it. But if you ever come back......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so jealous. I need an outlet like that. Why is it so hard sometimes to find a group of ladies who like to play sports? I am glad you are hooping it up like the old days. And I am sure your shot will come back soon. Isn't it funny how playing B-ball is a totally different when you are sprinting working different muscles. You need to call me. I miss you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can imagine that finding a group of ladies to play with would be hard. I am sure that they are mostly like me...and play like...well...girls. Good for you though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading this!!! I have had the exact same experience but with a different sport... volleyball! My little group at church is getting quite competitive. We're even going to start playing twice a week instead of just once. We're not playing this week cause of spring break and i'm totally bummed. Hear ya' all the way!! We need stuff like this! I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete