Monday, March 8, 2010

A nine year old proof of a four year old's intelligence

Disclaimer: Reader beware! Political views have been expressed within this blog.

Riding in the suburban the other day I listened to the following conversation that took place between my three boys.

Riley: "That sounds like a good idea to me."
Jordan: "You're just saying that because you are stupid."
Riley: "I am not stupid."
Jordan: "Oh yeah? What's 1 + 1 then?"

Pause the conversation a moment. If I said to Riley, "Riley you have one apple. If I give you another apple. How many apples do you have?" Riley would answer two without hesitiation. I just want to state here that Riley is intelligent but has not been taught the basic mathematical vocabulary of +, - , x, or / yet. Back to the conversation where Jordan asked the question that, if answered correctly, is the dividing line between ignorance and intelligence.

Jordan: "Oh yeah? What's 1 + 1 then?"
Riley: pausing first, "1."
Ben: "Oh that's EASY Riley. It's 2. You are dumb."

Jordan uses this proof quite frequently.

Given: All intelligent persons know and think as I do.
Prove: Anyone is stupid.

Statement: Riley is stupid.
Reason: Riley says 1 + 1 is 1.
Statement: Ben is stupid.
Reason: Ben does not know what 14 - 8 is.
Statement: Kenzie is stupid.
Reason: Kenzie does not know what 9x3 is.

Oh, if life were only that simple. Then I could convince all of the following:

Statement: People that support Pres. Obama's health care bill are stupid
Reason: They think the government can provide quality health care and that it can come free, better than free, it will build our economy.

P.S. Yes, I have personally experienced government run health care. I ended up in a hospital in Argentina on my mission with Pneumonia. Quite the experience, let me tell you.


2 comments:

  1. Totally true- I think we are really going to pay for this "reform". Nothing comes free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know what I think. Sarah tried to read the bill today. Funny girl, I told her nobody reads the bill, not even the people who wrote it.

    I tried to call you back the other day. I left a message. This week is pretty un-busy. I'll try to call again.

    ReplyDelete