It's hard to find a picture of my mom because the majority of the time she's the one taking the pictures so I had to use this one and crop Riley and Dad out of it.
Our church challenged us to take a moment and make a mom happy by:
- writing a note to mom
- giving an hour to mom
- getting to know mom
- recording a memory of mom
- giving back to mom
Maybe this post will satisfy a few of those.
I know a while ago in a post I shared a song that I love by imagine Dragons called I bet my life. It's a song about the relationship between a children and parents. One of the lines in this song says, "I've told a million lies but now I tell a single truth, there's you in everything I do." Mom, there's no truer statement than this that I could say to you. In everything I do, there truly is you.
You are in my the things that I love to do.
I love musicals because you love musicals. I remember many nights spent on your bed watching The Music Man, The Sound of Music, White Christmas, Carousel, Oklahoma, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Annie Get your Gun with you and all my sisters. Now McKenzie and I watch those same musicals and the love of them is being passed down.
I love baking because you loved to bake. I remember spending countless hours with you tirelessly helping us prepare our cookies and breads and candies for the county fair for 4-H. I remember helping you at Christmas time frost the cookies, rolls the pecan logs, and dip the chocolates. And while I don't have Kenzie in 4H and have never mastered fondant like you, I still carry the love of baking with me.
And well, I don't love sewing like you do because I don't possess the patience you do...but I still cherish the time we spent together at the sewing machine and the blessing of being able to wear a beautiful dress at my wedding that my mother made.
I try to make birthdays as special as you did. I try to decorate like you did. I try to make a special birthday dinner, even if it's a late one. I hope I'll be as good of a Grandma as you sending packages every holiday, birthday to let my grandchildren know they are loved.
I'd like to think I still carry the principle of thrift with me that you have taught me. I'll never forget the Girbaud jeans I bought while I was at Grandma's house and how you told me I spent way too much money on them. And while, yes, I still buy things occasionally that I want at full price, for the most part I try to spend my money wisely and be a good steward over what I have been given.
Mom, you are in the words I speak to my children. You are there with me in my memory as I sit up late talking with my sons or daughter after a difficult or exciting school day. Your many hours spent chauffeuring me from place to place motivate me to keep driving my own children places to make sure, as you would say, "that you (they) are in the right place at the right time." So many were the times that I would say to you, "But MOM....the dances are so BORING." and you would reply right back, "Then you make them fun. That is where you should be." That is a lesson I still have in my life to this day, it is my attitude that changes a situation. Many are the times where maybe in life, I have not been where I want to be because it was difficult or not "fun" to be there and your voice would echo in my head, essentially telling me to change my attitude and the situation would change.
Your support of me has been unwavering...even when I make a mistake you are there to tell me I can change.
Thank you for your sacrifices. Thank you for your trust. Thank you for your time. Thank you for your love.
I hope you see in my actions that I honor you.
I love you Mom.

No comments:
Post a Comment