So I have this young friend who is thinking about being baptized in our church. Her Dad said she could be baptized when she could answer what it meant to be baptized. Thinking of this I wrote a letter to this friend, explaining to her what it meant for me to be Mormon. I thought I'd include it here, since I also want my own children to know what it means for me to be Mormon. The letter follows.
I was supposed to write this letter a long time ago. I just ran across a note on my phone that
said, “What does it mean to me to be a mormon?” and with that some thoughts
that I jotted down. I made this note to
myself when I heard that you were taking the discussions and that your dad was
going to let you be baptized when you could tell him what it means to be a
Mormon. I don’t know where you are in
this process currently, but I wanted to let you know what it means to me to be
Mormon.
I grew up in the church. My parents were Mormons before I was born so
going to church is what I did from a young age to now. It was what our family did together. Despite this, I have many times in my life
questioned is this where I should be? Are
the teachings of the church true? Does
Heavenly Father really have a purpose for us here? Is there a living prophet? Is the Book of Mormon really true? And each time, I come back to the answer of
YES, this is where I need to be and all these things are true. I know because of the great happiness I have from
being a “Mormon”.
Being Mormon means
first that I believe in God or Heavenly Father. I believe he created us. I believe he loves us. I believe he wants us to become better, like
him, and because of this he sent us to earth.
I believe he loves all of us equally and wants us to return to his
presence…all of us.
Being Mormon means I
believe in Jesus Christ. I believe
that Jesus Christ is God’s son and that he is a separate distinct individual
from Heavenly Father. I believe he came to earth to show us the example of how
to live. Being Mormon means I try to
follow his teachings as best I can.
Being Mormon means that I believe in the atonement of Jesus Christ which
means I can repent of my wrongdoings when I don’t follow what Jesus
teaches. Being Mormon means I believe we
will live again after this life and be resurrected because of what Jesus Christ
did.
Being Mormon means I
believe in the Holy Ghost. I believe
Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ use the Holy Ghost to help all mankind know
what is right and wrong. I believe that
through the Holy Ghost I can receive answer to my prayers. I believe that through the Holy Ghost I can receive
revelation for me and for my family. I
believe that when I follow the Holy Ghost I can become more like Jesus Christ
and Heavenly Father.
Being Mormon means I
believe in the Bible and the Book of Mormon. It means I try to read these books because
they testify of Jesus. It means that I
believe that God spoke to man and taught us about Jesus anciently, not only the
jews, but all mankind. He gave us these
teachings to help us remember. Believing
in the Bible and Book of Mormon means I believe in prophets of old.
Being Mormon means I
believe there is a prophet today. I
believe that God and Jesus Christ did appear to Joseph Smith. God and Jesus Christ did help him translate
the Book of Mormon. God and Jesus Christ
did help Joseph Smith restore the true church of Jesus Christ upon this earth
complete with the priesthood and ordinances we need to return to the presence
of Heavenly Father one day. I believe
that when Joseph Smith died, that God continued to speak with called men,
prophets, to deliver his message to us.
I believe Thomas S. Monson communicates with God and helps us know God’s
will for us during this time. Because I
believe in a prophet, confusing questions that I have become clear when I know
what it is that God has taught.
These are the basics.
But I want you to know that being Mormon means so much more. It means I try to be kind to all. I try to serve others. I try to be clean in my thoughts and actions.
It means I don’t drink or swear
(although not swearing challenges me at times). It means I don’t have sex
before I am married. I don’t have
relations with other men while I am married.
It means I believe my marriage can last forever. It means I try forgive when someone offends me. It means I believe in family. It means when everything else in my life has
gone wrong, I can put one foot in front of the other and keep moving because I
know God and Jesus Christ love me. I
know that when I have done all I can, they will make up the difference.
I love Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I love our prophet. I love the pure and simple teachings of the
Gospel of Jesus Christ. Being Mormon
doesn’t make me better than other people, it makes me a better me than I would
be without it.
If you ever need anything, as a friend and your primary
teacher, I am here to listen and help, regardless of whether you choose to be
Mormon or not.
Beautiful
ReplyDelete