Sunday, August 14, 2016

Frozen chocolate chips cookies

I'm sitting here eating a frozen chocolate chip cookie and memories of Grandma and my Grandma's house just came rushing back...the tastes, the smells, the colors, and the happy memories spent there.

Grandma would always put on feasts when we got to her house. My favorite dinner was her hamburger and milkshakes and my favorite breakfast consisted of her sunday morning rolls, scrambled eggs and fruit with cream.  Whatever it was that she served it was exquisite.  Above all, my favorite thing about Grandma's house were the chocolate chip cookies she'd make for us every time.  She'd spend hours baking for us before we came and as soon as the cookies were out of the oven she'd put them in her freezer so we could have them fresh anytime.  When mom and Dad, grandma or the aunts weren't looking I'd sneak down to the basement, into the laundry room and seek those frozen cookies out and eat until my appetites were satisfied.  My love for my grandma's baking and these cookies may have been what led to a few chubby years for me as a youngster.  Just maybe...


Grandma's house was special to all of us.  It was a time to be pampered and loved.  It was a time to be with cousins.  It was a time to spend long summer afternoons out on her beautiful porch admiring her beautiful flowers.  Our visits were magical.  Grandma had these jars in her kitchen full of candy that I wanted to open.  She had beautiful glass figurines everywhere that I wanted to touch.  She had costume jewelry she let us play with.  She had good smelling soap (dove) and clean smelling clothes.  I still can't help but think of Grandma when I smell Dove soap.  I still can't help of thinking of Grandma's porch when I see petunias.  I still can't help but think of the nearby elementary where we'd swing for hours everytime I see a swingset.  

My sisters and I at Grandma's table late 70s,  I'm the one on the left.

 And the stories and pictures Grandma shared!  She was a history book and every story was full of adventure.  She told us of the Helena, Montana earthquake in 1935 that she lived through.  She shared stories of her mother and how sad she was when she died and of her angel mother's visit to her comfort her after her death.  She told of how she cared for her younger brothers and sisters when her mother passed away.  She shared stories of Great Aunt Zeta who lived past 100 and how we were related to President Buchanan.  She shared how the missionaries found her and how she decided to become a member of the church.  She shared what a strong woman she was and she made me feel like I would be able to become anything when I grew up.

I can still see the pictures of my beautiful Aunts, Dad and Uncles lining the wall of her stairs leading to the basement.  I can vividly picture the red carpet of the basement and her small patio on the back yard.  I can see the blue carpet in the living room and the lovely dining room table.  I can see the flocked Christmas tree she so carefully decorated.

She'd take us to McDonald's every visit to have a cone.  She'd laugh as we would see who could make their cones last the longest.  My cousin Tina won every time and it was torture to watch her icecream drip, drip down the cone.

Grandma was always up early and so was I.  We'd vacuum togheter, we'd watch the price is right and wheel of fortune, and then I'd watch her get ready for the day carefully curling her hair and applying her makeup in the mirror.

We'd visit her aerobics class with her, she'd turn up the radio and sing crazily to a song.  She'd laugh.  I remember Grandma laughing and smiling always.

These flood of memories I can't type fast enough to capture...but they're all brought back by a simple frozen chocolate chip cookie and I can't help but feel loved.  I love you Grandma!  Thanks for loving me.



1 comment:

  1. Chelsey, I'm amazed @ your vivid memories! They are so precious!!!❤ I remember a sweet little girl who loved sweets! You came by this quite naturally! I have to laugh when I think of you sneaking chocolate chip cookies out of Mom's freezer undetected!�� So many beautiful memories of our dear, sweet, little Mommy& Grandma!��

    ReplyDelete