Sunday, September 4, 2016

Try outs and Phantom

This week was a nerve wracking week for me.  You know, tryouts for the high school musical and all.  Only they weren't for me :/  How is it as a mom we can be more nervous than our children when they have something big coming up.  Literally I slept very poorly EVERY NIGHT.  You see, our plays here at the high school in Durango are VERY COMPETITIVE for girls to get into.  There were 50 girls trying out.  Only 19 would be cast.  The girls that get in take voice usually, they are involved with the local small theaters.  The cast takes the Colorado state competitions and competes nationally usually.  Kenzie has been working on her audition piece with her voice teacher for three months.  Yes, you read that correctly THREE MONTHS!  So here tryout was this Tuesday at 6:15.  I was able to escape from work a little early and attend auditions with her.  She was called in and I was sweating.  She was in there for about 10 minutes before she came out.  The girl who called her in asked her how she did and she answered, "good".  I was trying to divine the look on her face from where I sat to see if it was truly good, when she turned back around and said more excitedly to the girl, "I think really good!"  When I had a moment to talk with her about it she told me how the director had asked her to sing for him four different times with different directions each time.  She told me how he said, "The moment I realized you could act is when you sung the line, 'as the sun will rise' and I felt like I was watching you watch the sun rise."  We were giddy with excitement and certain that the audition really did go well.  We ran over to her voice teacher to share our good news.  She too could hardly contain her excitement and we were all certain she would receive a call back the next day.  Wednesday came and I expected to hear from Kenzie first thing, but as the morning went on I heard nothing.  Jill, her voice teacher had texted me asking if I heard anything and letting me know that her inside source, the pianist, let her know that Kenzie had done VERY well.  So, when we finally did see the callback list and Kenzie's name wasn't on it, we were all severely disappointed and I was preparing Kenzie for the worst case scenario...no role at all.  Now, I say she didn't have callbacks, but that is not quite true.  He did call back everyone who auditioned to teach them a dance from the musical that they would be performing.  So, she kind of got called back.  In my heart I was hoping though, that she'd already been cast, that she wasn't called back because he knew where he wanted her.  Thursday came and again, no word from Kenzie.  I wanted to leave work and go sneak a peak at the list myself and then...her voice teacher texted.  Kenzie was in!


We were overjoyed, so happy and VERY relieved.  And while to you her part may seem very small it is so awesome that she made it on!  She and I couldn't be more pleased to be a part of this wonderful production.  Yay!  Oh, and her best friend made it on with her :)

Friday she and I traveled to Denver for her late birthday present.  In May I got her tickets to go see Phantom of the Opera in Denver.  Um, need I even say that it was AMAZING!!!!  The voices, the set, the colors, the acting all combined to create a sublime assault on the senses.  At one point, the music was so powerful it brought Kenzie to tears.  Whenever I get to partake in something so wonderful, I always wish the entire family were with me.  I'm so glad I got to share it with my daughter. 




No comments:

Post a Comment