Saturday, September 15, 2018

Quote for the week

So I'm reading (really listening to) this book by Jordan Peterson entitiled,12 Rules for Life: An antidote to Chaos.  In it he discusses Chaos vs. order and the balance we have to find in our lives to achieve, I'm not quite sure what he would call it, but I would call it joy.  As I was listening to his description of chaos vs. order, the yin and the yang, Good vs. Evil, and the importance of finding balance in these things so we can progress he said something very profound.  He said the following:

"The divine way is much better than happiness."


As I interpreted what he was saying I heard, "The divine way" (the walk between chaos, (my interpretation of chaos is trials/Satan/temptation/the unexpected) and order (God's/homeostasis/the known)) "is much better than happiness."  He is making the point that to grow is important to us as human beings and that to grow we have to experience chaos but need God in our lives, or standards as others would say to help us keep our moral bearings and lift others.  This walk between chaos and order, or the divine way, is what produces the most growth.

Lehi explained it with different words in 2 Nephi 2:25 to his son Jacob, "Adam fell that me might be and men are that they might have joy."  Maybe I'm thinking about this a lot because I realize how necessary it is for my children to leave home to grow.  They literally have to "fall"/leave home so that man can be/progress (marry, get an education, have a a family) and thus experience joy (which came because of the fall).

So this is the quote I am going to try to remember for the week.

"The divine way is much better than happiness."

By the way, it's an excellent book.  Go buy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment