Sometimes I find it hard to write a blog every week because I don't have a good blog title or because I don't feel like I have anything interesting to say, but I am always surprised when I go back and read my blogs that I feel like sometimes my best blogs really have no point to them at all. It just shows what has been happening in the Belt house all week long. So, I'm going to try a new format to writing when I don't have any specific thing to write. So, here it goes.
Said:
"Reading Dracula is more interesting than pre-calc Mom." Said by Ben to me. Ben is taking pre-calc and trig at home. There is a long explanation as to why he is doing this that involves seemingly unimportant choices made by him last spring that ended up have greater consequences with the school than either he or I realized. I had this long discussion with the school the beginning of the semester, telling them that they should have discussed Ben's options with me before enrolling him in his math class and insisted that they enroll him the right math class for his abilities to which they offered this solution of a home school pre-calc/trig class. Yes, he is enrolled in Math 3 at school too (and easily is receiving 100%) so next year he will be triple advanced in math and start Calculus as a Sophomore. My Kids tend to have a great proclivity for math. Ben and Riley are the most advanced but Jake is quickly following in their footsteps. Anyway, because of the mishap of not having Ben in the correct math at school, they offered us a free online course that he can take to catch up to where he needs to be. So, what does that mean? Ben and I are doing a lot of math at home. And because the school has the online website blocked accidentally at the high school, we are having to make-up lessons. He just started last week and he was 13 lessons behind. Today he will be 7 lessons behind.
"I'm going to surprise them all with a different song when I play Mom." Said by Jake to me about the song he was asked to play on his guitar for the primary program. Luckily, he didn't follow through with the threat and played the planned song. Jake has quite the sense of humor and likes to mix things up at times so I was relieved to hear the correct song being played. We've discussed a lot about the appropriate and inappropriate times and ways to joke. I didn't realize how much that would have to be discussed with someone who likes to joke around, but it definitely does. He did a great job playing. I love the guitar and I love my good humored Jake.
"Kenzie is watching the office on Netflix AGAIN!" One of the most difficult things I have to deal with as a parent is technology and the grasp it can have on our kids. I do not have problems with the office. I do not have problems with Kenzie (or any child for that matter) watching an occasional episode now and again. However, now a child is able to binge watch episodes and if they haven't watched the show before, they can watch hours at a time as they watch seasons and seasons of the show. The supply litereally is never ending. Yes, I have a problem with endless hours of netflix. Here's the other thing I have a problem with, I don't even own a subscription to Netflix. My daughter's friend's grandma owns a subscription and Kenzie has the password. So, not only do I have to talk to her about the waste of time but I have to teach her the ethical and moral implications of using someone else's password, even if it is with permission.
Just a side note here, balancing punishments for teenage kids is tricky. There has to be consequences. Sometimes, the consequences create other tensions. This week Kenzie and Brad had some bad interactions with each other, Kenzie purposely misinterpreting her father and her father being extra harsh on her when the teenager came out in McKenzie. Balance can be so hard to find in these teenage years. I'm always working on that.
Done:
Shelves were put up in our new office for storage. The boys helped dad with that and well, Riley kind of whacked Dad in the eye.
Yep, that's a black eye. There are definitely casualties when teaching your children to work.
I made some yummy banana pancakes that were gluten free that I thought I'd pass along the recipe to. Here it is:
This recipe made enough to feed three. So, take that into account when you use it.
Also, I rode up to my favorite lake when I was sick. Yep.
Brad and the boys dirt biked.
Kenzie had a mini piano recital that she performed in. A practice before the real thing. I love her piano teacher.
Learned:
Use Clear Pore by Neutrogena in the shower nightly. Leave it on for
five minutes. Then wash it off. Follow it up with Cerave night
cream. This was learned from our Dermatologist. We
also got some medicine to help control the acne, but I thought I'd pass
on this gem.
A lot from Jordan Peterson. I'm still listening to/reading his book 12 Rules for Life: An antidote for Chaos.
The following are some of my favorite quotes thus far (I listened to it first and am going back and reading it):
"People who know what to expect from each other can act together to tame the world."
"In the absence of a system of value people can not act."
"Parents have a duty to act as proxies for the real world."
And finally one I can cross reference with a scripture from the Book of Mormon:
"If it's working for the ennobling of Being, for the establishment of Paradise, then it's Christ. If it's working for the destruction of Being, for the generation and propagation of unnecessary suffering and pain, then it's Satan. That's the inescapable, archetypal reality." (Moroni 7:12-14)
No comments:
Post a Comment