Sunday, July 26, 2020

Mountains make me feel so small

We went on a hike yesterday and ventured into the deep forest of one of our local mountains.  Brad was searching for a different entrance into one of his favorite kayak runs because the usual entrance is, at this time, not accessible.  So, unfortunately for McKenzie and I, Brad didn't know the trail he was looking for.  I say that is unfortunate for McKenzie and I because usually when Brad doesn't know where he is going he leaves us behind.  The reason he does this is justified.  There are many times when Brad has led me off trail and started blazing his own path where I have been downright unpleasant and complained the whole time.  The boys don't do this to Brad.  They have been on many adventures with Dad blazing their own trail across the terrain.  So, anyway, like I said, when Brad doesn't know the way he usually will leave McKenzie and me behind.  Me mostly.  Even Kenzie will trail blaze with him where I won't.

So yesterday we start out on this trail and Brad takes out his google maps and well, we are not heading toward the river.  He and Ben are tracking it with google earth or something on their phones.  He and Ben say to us all, "the river is 1/2 mile this way" and they point off trail and uphill and start climbing.  I'm thinking maybe I should stay on this trail because Brad has just told me it loops around and will lead us back to the truck.  However, in my head I think, well, I might get lost and should probably follow Brad.  So in some Teva sandals and overalls I follow the lead of my husband and children.  Just about when Kenzie and I were about to break (okay I was probably broken but to be fair to myself I did have a lot of mosquito bites by this point and I HATE mosquito bites) we reached the ridge of the mountain and looked down into the deep gorge to see the river below.  There was no going down from this location.  But the view was stunning.




After I had my respite from the mosquitos and the boys had filled their bellies a little, we headed back down the mountain.  Lucky for us we found a road well traveled (Literally it was a forest service road) that led us to the path that we should have taken in the first place.  So, the result of the hike?  We all got to see some gorgeous sites:







the kids found some great places to take dates on and Brad found his access to the water.  Honestly, the mountains to explore where we live are endless.

A couple of news worthy mentions here:

McKenzie is done working for the summer and gets the next four weeks off.  She spent her first day off taking Jake on a hike.  He is so glad to have someone home again with him.


Also we have a pregnant cat and I'm sure we will be adding pictures of cute kittens soon.  Did you know pregnant cats are called queens?

No comments:

Post a Comment