Sunday, June 20, 2021

Two poems I've written in the last 6 months that I like

 Questioning

Are you a constant?
Can I fall and you'll catch me?
Can I call out and hear your voice?
Do you accept me as I change?
Can we change and accept together?
Or must I conform to you?

Will you leave me
Here alone




As I search and stretch
and
dig?

Will you allow me space




 to breathe?
Or will you smother me with your smug certainty?

I don't know anything anymore.
The hurt is deep.
And in the lone darkness
of the night
I panic and despair
as tears fall down my face.

Will you cry with me
Or do you fear catching my disease?
Will you mask up and social distance
and stop coming to visit?
Fearful of the pain I hold inside?
Fearful of my humanity?

I miss you
and being able to be myself with you.

I miss me.


The illusion

While young full of naivety
A painting I did see.
My place in life and my beliefs
Fit all inside of me.
The lines were crisp and straight, so clear.
I had such grandiose plans
Of where I'd be some years from now
The future in my hands.

Then in came life with blust'ry winds.
Prepared I felt to choose
The path that led me to my goals.
I did not know I'd lose
My faith and my beliefs so sure
my place in life secured.
The sight of 20/20 gone.
My vision remained blurred.

I seek to understand it now.
As seen with eyes anew.
This painting I had briefly glanced
Has meaning deep and true.
Reality presented clear
I almost didn't see
The pain and suff'ring present there
the pain inside of me.

The painting, it was always true
To what my life would hold
Unable to behold this truth
-beheld the lie I told.
Once more this painting now presents.
Life's truths are present there.
Both light and dark in beauty found
Illusion now laid bare.


No comments:

Post a Comment