Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A brief update

My birthday

I turned 36.  I am now officially closer to 40 than 30 and I have some SERIOUS concerns about this.  I think I will freeze my age from this time forth.  From now on I will always be 36.  Too bad I can't freeze my face from getting older. 

Yes, look closely and you will see the wrinkles, the thinning eyebrows and the wierd bumps that are appearing on my face.  They ARE there so don't lie to me.

 Brad was out of town for my birthday and I was NOT going to celebrate.  However, Brad had a friend take me out to dinner, buy me flowers and get me a present since he couldn't be there.  It was very thoughtful of both of them.  I really appreciated the time she took out of her day to spend with me...especially since I made her wait at the burger joint for 1 hour, literally.   

Jake's birthday

He wanted a batman cake.  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised since, if he can find it, he will wear the batman costume day after day after day right now.  It was actually really easy to make and turned out pretty cute.  I didn't get any wise cracks from Brad this year about what the cake was like the dinosaur last year.


He got a dinosaur that roars and a pillow pet.  Brad was home for the weekend so he got to celebrate with us.

My favorite things about Jake, age 3:

  • He randomly will quote songs in conversation.  Some of his favorite things to say are, "Chill out, what ya yellin' for" from the song Complicated by Avril Lavigne, "Girls just want to have fun" from the song Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper and "Flush you down the toilet hope you do enjoy it" from the school spoof of the song We will Rock you by Queen that my older children have taught him.
  • He plays this kissing game with me and will kiss my cheek over and over and over again.  He thinks this is great fun.  However it can be very distracting with how loud he makes his kissing noises.  It attracts a lot of attention from others when we are out in public
  • He is always telling me I love your hair mommy, I love your nose mommy, you are pretty mommy.
  • He dresses up as batman or buzz everyday.  Batman more than Buzz recently. 
  • He is a little impatient and very independent as demonstrated by an episode that happened this morning.  He had asked me for cereal and when I did not get him the cereal quickly enough, he decided to take matters into his own hands.  He tried to pour the whole box in the bowl.  At least I caught him before he had poured the milk.



Sickness


 We have been SICK, SICK, SICK in our house.  EVERYONE.


Lots of naps have been taken and many movies watched.  We do seem to be on the mend now:)

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to both you and Jake! You are not that old and you also look good. So how are making it? Raising 5 kids all by yourself? You are a strength to me as a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was beginning to wonder how you were getting along. Glad to see you are still alive even if you getting old. I still think you look great anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday. I did not see any bumps. But then again I did not enlarge the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to you and Jake! I wish I had some optomistic words about your wrinkles and such but since I don't even recognize myself, I guess my advice is worth nothing. But I think you look lovely! Love Ron and Cleta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chels, It me Anjee. Your ever so honest and blunt sister and hey listen... I think you are looking more beautiful with age! And I am not just saying that trust me. We all have a few wrinkles that only we notice but hey so do a lot of young people who fake n bake. Think how they will look at our age and take comfort. ha ha. I know my sense of humor is maybe a little off. Just so you know I have never seen a weird bump on your face...but I trust you if you say they are there. They are. Sunscreen, suncreen oh did I say suncreeen? ya cuz uh our dad has some werrd bump things too. From too much sun. It could be genetic. All I know is I have things appearing all over my body that never used to be there. But I also know I have more wisdom and patience and am not as stupid or naive (no offense to anyone younger than us) as I used to be so hey it's a trade off right? Truly though I mean it when I say you look awesome. Not only that you but your are beautiful on the outside but inside too. Hey and you are superwoman taking care of your kids alone as long as you have. You go girl. Power to the mid thirties. In my opinion the Mergs just get better with age.

    ReplyDelete