Friday, December 9, 2011

Friday's walk down memory lane 12/9/2011

I love seeing the Christmas dresses during the holiday season.  It's even better when a little sister or two is dressed in the exact same dress.  It brings back memories of my own childhoood and the matching Christmas dresses my sisters and I wore (and the matching suits my younger brothers wore), all lovingly made by my mother. 






Eventually we outgrew wanting to wear the dresses my mother made.  The picture above was the last set of the matching dresses.  I'm not quite sure why my sisters weren't in the picture with me, but I know they each had a dress just like mine.  I must have been in the 5th grade here, so Anjee would have been in the 7th and Missy in the 8th and I'm pretty sure that we all told her it was time to stop making the matching dresses.  We were much too mature by then to be seen matching.  I know none of us appreciated the hours spent by Mom making these dresses, but looking back now it's a way I can see that she showed her love for us.  No time spent was too much time.  And when I see those sisters now dressed up like my sisters and I were so many years ago, I can't help but smile and feel the spirit of Christmas rush into my heart.

Of course, eventually Mom had Grandchildren ...
and they got matching outfits too:) 

4 comments:

  1. My mom used to make matching dresses for us too. I have never thought of making my girls dresses...I am not really sure why. Maybe next year I will give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corey gives me such grief about Christmas dresses. They just don't understand that it's tradition. You have to have a Christmas dress. I didn't do matching this year though, they are similar, but I still do love those matching dresses, it's just too fun.

    I don't think it's overboard to have bought 3 copies of that book for Christmas presents. I was thinking of giving a couple myself. I really was just amazed by it, I would have never survived what he did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of the pictures. They made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all that you are chronicling. Especially your walks down memory lane. Love you Chels. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete