Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sunday Reflections 3/18/2012

Whew!  The birthday party is over!  I threw it here in my home.  Here in my home with a bunch of 7-8 year old boys and no Brad.  I survived.  Just barely:)  Does any one else think that 7-8 year olds are as weird as I do?

Ben wanted to build something (he's really into building right now) for his party.  He suggested birdhouses.  In my minds eye I pictured 8 or 9 young boys with nails, hammers and paint and quickly said I would think of something myself.  Something requiring little use of tools that can be lethal in the hands of 8 year old boys.  A quick search on the internet gave me the idea to make balloon powered cars...tape, scissors, straws, carboard and balloons were all that were needed!  In addition I could have the boys race the cars at the end.  I made a trial one the day prior to the party and after a successful run decided it was the perfect boy craft.

They loved it.  Until they started trying to get them to go. 



Some, like Ben's, didn't move more than a few inches and some had a little more luck.  Can you see the defect in Ben's car? 



I think the most enjoyed game was the one where you try to pop everyone else's balloon.  Once your balloon is poppped you're out.  They could have gone on playing that all afternoon. 

And...to make things easier on me, I let them decorate their own cupcakes.  That was a stroke of genius as no fancy cake had to be whipped up.  For me, it gets so much easier when they are older and the cakes just have to taste good, not look good.  I'm not much of a cake decorator.

I think Jacob truly has a talent.  At the end of the party I could hear some light snoring...almost as if someone was sleeping.  Sure enough, I look over and there's Jacob at the table sound asleep.


I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see this boy sent to some country for his mission where they sleep with mats on the floor.  I believe he could do that for two years and not suffer one bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment