I've just completed my running goals for the summer and am back to an integrated workout with weights, the bike and running combined. What was my goal? It was to build up to a 10 mile run again. You see, ever since we moved to the altitude of 7000 ft, I haven't run anything more than a six miler. Let me tell you, at this altitude running anything always seems hard so I didn't want to attempt more than six for a good year and a half. Well, the time had come to up and increase my running and to get to the point where you can run that much you have to be running everyday. My total distances for the week started at 16 miles when I began my program and ended at 32 miles. When you start running those high mileage weeks, you start getting chafed if you don't have special lubricating gels, the likes of which I am too cheap to buy. One of the worst places I get chafed is in my upper armpits and trust me people, it isn't pretty. I don't think much of it though (aside from the pain it sometimes causes) because well, I don't wear sleeveless things and I rarely lift up my arms to reveal my armpits. So why tell you all these details? Well because the other day I was lying in bed having my 6 year old read a story to me when all of the sudden he noticed my armpits (because I had placed my arms behind my head) and of course, as only a small child can do, commented (due to my chafing mind you) how old people, like me, have ugly armpits. Why do I include this in my weekly blog? Well, it is the first time any of my children have called me old, ouch! I'm not sure I like being thought of as old...and yet I know the day had to come and sadly it has arrived. I'm officially thought of as "old" to at least one of my children.
Our 4th of July was kind of a downer. At least the kids thought so. Our fireworks, for obvious reasons were cancelled but the real bummer was that our parade was cancelled too : (. I don't believe that last year I wrote about the parade that they have here in Monument annually, but it is pretty cool. Every year they have elephants, men that walk on stilts and people that do lots of tricks. I was totally taken aback last year when I expected to see your average small town parade and saw the best parade I've ever been to. So, for all you who ever decide to visit Colorado Springs over the 4th of July, be sure to attend the parade in Monument. It's awesome, really.
So what did we do to replace it? We shot Beanie Baby again....no, just kidding. Did you read that post? I chose the pictures and Brad wrote it. If you haven't read it, you should. It's funny. What did we do? We went swimming in a nearby lake, we had hamburgers and milkshakes for dinner and watched Sherlock Holmes, a game of shadows. No fireworks, no potato gun shooting, no parade....I'd say next year, but we shouldn't be living here next year if things go well for us.
As for the rest of the week, well it was all kind of a blur...lost in the whirlwind of normal everyday life. We went ice skating, school clothes shopping (Can you believe I'm having to think about the start of the school year already? We start early here in Colorado.) and cleaned house a lot. My boys, after seeing Journey 2, have been trying to figure out how to pop their pecks. What is "peck popping"? Here is a little youtube clip for your own educational purposes to spare you from having to watch the whole movie .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apQPaduDRVw
Brad has always been a big peck popper. Can your husband do it? We didn't know until now that it had a name. Usually the kids just stare and wonder why he wanders around the house with his shirt off stopping periodically to pop his pecks. Now we know it is one of the three great secrets of love and that I, myself, fell prey to it. Really, who can blame me? I feel so much better knowing that my boys will be going out into the world with this ancient yet practical skill.
Oh, and how could I forget? The Rilinator made us (well just Brad actually) proud this past week when he shot his first buck with his Red Ryder BB gun. While he has been working on his archery skills lately, this is his weapon of choice.
The deer is peacefully feeding and totally oblivious to the stealthy approach of the great hunter (and his spotting companion). Instinctively Riley finds a solid rest, spread his feet and settles in to make his shot, Ben advises him on distance and wind velocity.
![]() |
| POW!! |
The shot was right on but unfortunately underpowered and this huge buck lives to see another day. We're so proud of our little red neck!



Don't you just love that your kids can run free though, bb guns and all?! I'm sure your going to miss all that space.
ReplyDelete