Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sunday Reflections 9/2/2012

As the majority of our week now revolves around the online schooling process taking place in our home I figured today's post would be the perfect time to present to you the Pros and Cons of online schooling:

Cons:
  • It takes much more of my time than I expected it to.  To be fair, it would be much easier if I only had one or two enrolled in the program.  I don't.  I have four.  Riley needs me most of the time he is doing his school work.  Kenzie and Ben sometimes need me for their schoolwork.  Jordan would need me very little, except that he has decided that the way I present his pre-algebra is much more easy to understand than the computer.  So, I do teach him his pre-algebra daily.  I guess that's what I get for majoring in math.  So, when all is said and done, I am spending the whole day helping one child or another.  I feel like I have a full-time job again...albeit better than a full time teaching job because I don't have 30+ papers to grade when I get home and I can leave school behind when it is finished because I don't have to plan the next day's, week's or month's lessons.  Yet, on the other hand, the students do come home with me..... 
  • As a result of all that is written in the above point, I don't have near enough time to spend with Jake.  Luckily, for now, we have our daddy home and he is making up for some of that.
  • None of us like being on the computer as long as we are.  It makes us feel like zombies and I, when I have to be on it a lot with them, get VERY GROUCHY.  That's why I forewent last week's posting, my tolerance for the computer was non-existant by Sunday.
  • My kids all miss their social circles. 
 Pros:
  • There is no homework, ever.  Maybe I should say that it's all homework.  I guess that could be a pro or con depending if you're a glass half-empty person or a glass half-full.
  • My kids start at 9 and are usually done by 2 every day.  Sometimes, we do take a little longer, but we have never exceeded the hours that they spend in school on a daily basis when they are actually in school.
  • I'm learning along with them.  It's amazing how much we forget as we get older.
  • We can pace ourselves.  If we want to go ahead a lesson to get more time for the next day we can.  Both Ben and Jordan were able to go on a dirtbike ride with their dad this week because they were able to work a day ahead.  That's pretty cool.
  • I can work on the little things that I feel they need to improve on whether it's handwriting, or reading aloud, or neatly organizing your math paper so your teacher can read and follow what you've done.
  • My kids are actually bonding. 
Onto other random topics:

LEGOS! I find them everywhere. This one below was found in my dryer. I don't know why I took a picture of it, but I did and so I'm putting it in my post.  I've mentioned my love/hate relationship with legos before but every time I clean the house I swear I won't buy another set...and yet, guess what I bought for Riley's birthday coming up?





Jacob has invisible shoes, or so he informs me.  He wears them almost every day outside because he can't ever find a pair of his 5 pairs of shoes that he owns.



 If I insist that the shoes must be seen to allow him out of the house he usually comes to me with one of his sibling's shoes on. This day the shoes on his feet just happened to be his sisters.  In footwear, I think he's going for the batman look here.




And finally, just how far do we go to catch and eradicate mice from our vehicles?








As far as necessary.  We're serious about the business of catching mice here.  No car shall remain intact if one has been found to be roaming within.  Now, if only these two can remember how to put the puzzle pieces back together.... 

And yes, Brad is going for the Chuck Norris look.

Chuck Norris  

No comments:

Post a Comment