Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Time to move on. A post maybe only my sisters will understand.

I'm writing this with my smartphone.  Are you impressed?  You should be.

So today my daughter comes to me and asks with this face
"Mom don't you think it's time I got some more mature underwear?  I mean    it's embarrassing wearing icecream underwear and changing in the locker room.  Icecream underwear that tell you what day of the week it is mom.  Embarrassing!"

Between her face and expressions and my own experiences being embarrassed by underwear she had me laughing so hard I was in tears.

Let me delve into that past for a moment.  (Mom, please don't be offended by what I'm about to write.  I know you had the best of intentions.)

Growing up as a daughter of a teacher in a family of seven with a stay at home mom meant we were really poor.  One of the things my mom did for us to help make ends meet was sew.  She sewed everything.  Our t-shirts, dresses, jeans, etc.  I remember one year my sister wanted to have a pair of jeans like the other girls.  They had some sort of rose pattern embroidered on the back pocket.  My mom made her the jeans and made her own rose design just so Anjee would fit in. It didn't work so well, but Mom tried.  Anyway you get the picture.  It saved us money and so my mom sewed. One of the things she sewed for us was underwear. She tried so hard to make it fashionable and cute.  She would trim it with lace so it would be pretty.  We wore it for years without any thought of it being any different.  But then came jr. High and PE and changing in front of the other girls. My friends made fun of the underwear teasing me, "nice granny pants merg". or "That's some pretty lace." To say the least I became very embarrassed and surely said something similar to what my own daughter said to me.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is I laughed because I could relate.  And yes, Kenz...maybe it's time to move on from the icecream cone underwear. 

A few Jake funny sayings... The first one may be more sad than funny.  

Just the other day Jake asked me when we were going to be moving houses again.  It was foreign to him to think that we were going to be in this home forever.  It was funny and yet sad to think how often we have moved since Jake has been born.  I was proud to tell him no more moves for a long time.

Yesterday Brad told Jake that if he didn't do the dishes he would have a cow.  Jake asked sincerely, "You mean you're going to buy a cow dad?"

Ben's football is going better.

I've been sick and should be sleeping instead of blogging so I'm off to bed now.

1 comment:

  1. I thought I commented, but don't see it. If you get two comments, you have proof that I'm technologically disabled. I just did some catch-up reading and now I miss you guys all the more. I'm with you on so many things: kids growing up, the fighting, Amazon Prime, grown-up underwear, teaching kids to work hard and be kind, laughing at the funny things they say and do. I love the picture of your kids all together. What a great group. We love you!

    ReplyDelete