Perseverance is something I've never lacked...just ask Brad, my parents or my brothers/sisters.
I sometimes wonder how many times a day I can say, "{Insert name here} put away your clothes." without blowing a gasket. I think my children must wonder too because they always push me to my limits.
Just today for example I asked a certain child several times (probably 100) to put away the clothes I had folded and vacuum under the table. Upon 100th time of asking said child to do their chores, I took away said child's book and asked, maybe in a slightly louder voice, for them again to do their chores. Then said child informs me that I didn't have to yell at them to get them to do the chore, I could have just asked nicely. Ha!
It takes a good sense of humor and it takes the ability to not be offended easily. It takes the ability to be a friend one moment and the next moment cross the line back to parent. They don't always like you when you're the parent. That's when you have to be thick skinned. When I'm patient enough I usually get a meager, "I'm sorry." It definitely takes forgiveness.
You know what's funny? I like it. Being a parent to teenagers that is. I loved little kids but having little kids is so physically exhausting. The constant spilled milk, the fingerprints, the soothing crying babies, the making of their lunches, the tucking them in bed, the brushing their teeth, the dragging them to the grocery store, the changing of the diapers...all that kind of gives me nightmares (Shhh! Don't tell anyone!) I much prefer the emotional roller coaster of teenagers to the physical demands of young ones any time.
My favorite times to be with them? Dinner and night time just before bed. You'd be amazed at the wonderful conversations that arise in these moments when I am present. You'd be amazed that what I remember most about my teenage years is mom waiting up to talk to me.
It is so important for those teenagers to hear, as Elder Foster said in general conference, "I've been where you are. I know what comes next. I'll help you through it." It is vital to keep that communication open.
So many people have forgotten what it felt like to be a teenager. The best way to guide them, I believe is to remember that time. Remember you weren't always kind. Remember you were angry at times with your parents. Remember you didn't always see the danger. Remember how exciting that first romance can be, but SUPERVISE, from a distance.
Love your teenagers and embrace the roller coaster ride that comes with that age...that's what they need most from us.
No comments:
Post a Comment