Sunday, October 20, 2019

Oil fire + water = DANGER

I don't know when I learned that.  I really can't remember.  It might have been the time an oil fire started in our home when I was in 8th or 9th grade and my dad, I don't think he threw water on the fire, I think he just didn't smother it so our whole kitchen almost caught on fire.  I knew then, not to throw water on an oil fire.

So Monday night I had returned from work and was fixing dinner for the family.  Actually we usually all pitch in when we fix dinner.  Anyway we were making cobb salad and some bacon had to be cooked.  Kenzie cooked it and I felt like the bacon was a little undercooked so I put just one piece back in the oven.  I got to doing other stuff for the dinner and 5 minutes later I could smell it...my bacon was on fire.  I opened the oven and sure enough saw a flaming piece of bacon.  I calmly reached for my oven mitt to bring the piece of bacon out of the oven so the flame could either extinguish itself or I could smother it if needed.  Imagine the next few seconds in slow motion.  Out of the corner of my eye I see my 15 year old son running toward me, all hero-like, cup in hand.  It took just a second to register that in the cup must be water and immediately I yelled out, "NNNNOOOOO BBBBEEEEEEEEEEENNNN!   NNOOOOOTT WAAATTEEERR!"  But too late.  He threw the cup of water on the fire and well, we had a little bit of a backdraft going on.  I shouted an explicit word and turned my face away and threw the pan away from me.  My husband, quick to act with his firefighter background, extinguished the fire.  When my husband then ran to me and began hitting me on the head and shoulder and the smell of burnt hair filled the air, I realized I was too late in getting the fire away from me, my hair had caught fire.  For a second as I looked at the singed hair I could see, I was afraid to look in the mirror.  I eventually got up the courage enough to walk to a mirror and take a look.  Lucky for me, only a small piece of my front hair burned (yes, it looks like I have tons of split ends now) and well, my eyelashes and right eyebrow took a pretty good hit.  Lucky for me, I can paint eyebrows and eylashes on.  I mean, I did it today and it doesn't look so bad. 


Yes, my outer eyebrow is a little sparse.  What does one do?  I share that with you just to let you know, we all have fires to put out in our lives.  I'm glad it wasn't worse. 

On a brighter note, Brad took the boys and I rock climbing.  I've lost my nerve for rock climbing.  I don't know what it is about getting older, but I have no desire to climb anymore.  My boys are studs though.  I took some pictures at the beginning of the climb and as I looked at them I really couldn't believe how old they look now.   Really, take a look. 



Here's Jake:


I call him slim now.  He's lost 18 lbs. in the last 3 months.  Pretty soon he is going to start lifting weights with his brother.

Here's Riles:


He's a lean mean machine.  Literally.  He is so strong for his size.  He hangs on Ben's coattails and it makes him that much better at everything he does.

Here's my Benny:


He's so strong and big he looks like he could be a senior.  I'm so glad he's only a sophomore though and I'm hoping girls don't find out to soon what a great catch he is.

It's so strange to see them grow. 

Anyway here are my pictures of the rock climbing.

Dad always goes first and last to set up and take down. 


Ben was belaying him in this picture.


Also this trip, Jake belayed him for the first time ever.  I had to be his back up.

Anyway, once Brad has set up a rout, the boys try.  Ben went first....and failed his first try.  The beginning of the climb was the toughest. 


Then Riley goes next and thinks he can school Ben and Ben laughs as Riley, too, fails.  Eventually, with a little help from Brad, Riley makes it up.











This route is too hard for Jake.  Brad sets up another route for him to work on while the older boys are working on this one.







Ben gets a try again and shows Riley that first, he can do it just like Riley and second, he doesn't need any help from Dad at the beginning.









Of course we can't have adventures like these without bringing our trusty dog Blue along for the journey.




No comments:

Post a Comment