Sunday, June 19, 2022

I am alive

 I know...you were worried.  I would be too if I hadn't heard from someone in close to 4 months.  I'm not sure if not writing a blog post for that long means I've been too busy, too depressed or having too much fun.  Maybe a little of all of it.  

Yes I've felt a little down lately:

I have been going through a transition as my third child flies the coop and I look and see that I only have two left at home.  I panic a little as I wonder if Brad and I can keep each other company for the years of empty nesting or if my home will sound hollow and we will both be lonely.  I wonder if I should be doing something to improve myself so I can keep busy when they are all gone.  I think every parent goes through this when the children leave.  You devote so much time and effort to raising these people and then all of the sudden...they are gone...and you have time to think about yourself once again and it's been so long since you have been able to think about yourself.  It's just all so weird.  And I can get stuck in it.  But then, after a moment, I pick myself up and think, "Buck up Chelsey.  Put one foot in front of the other.  Everything's going to be okay."  And so I do.


That's the face I give to my kids when I say, "Life is tough.  Buck up little camper."  I actually didn't save those two pictures for this post.  I saved it so I could text these to my kids when I send an I'm exhausted text or buck up text to them.  I thought I captured the emotions well in these selfies.  Call me a weirdo for saving them if you will.  

I have been busy....very busy.

Jake, Ben and Riley decided to do track this spring. (Please excuse that I don't have any pictures of Jake's junior high meets). 


They all ran a little (Riley the most)



Ben and Jake threw (shot and disc).  Riley and Ben took up pole vaulting.  Riley got pretty good and almost made state.  His PR was 10'9".  A little more practice and he'll be there next year.



Brad broke his foot.  Dirtbiking.  Whiskey throttle.



No surgery but it's definitely been a long hard healing period.  Much longer than either of us expected I think.  He lost his toenail as a result and Kenzie got to do some fun surgery under supervision.




I attempted a garden...the basics...zuchinni, tomatoes, peppers.  I began inside.


I thought to myself anyone can grow zuchinni, right?  Well I transplanted them outside and they are not doing too well.  I might have a tomato plant or two that survived.  Next year, I'm starting them outside after June 1.  To make myself feel better I have taken pictures of my cactus that take zero maintenance and bloom every spring.



They have the prettiest flowers.  Here's a picture of my pets that take little maintenance too.


Okay, a little maintenance...Blue did have surgery recently and Mae is pregnant.  I may have to get her spayed.  

And Jake has some bees...that also require maintenance...and we got some honey from this time round.


This is Jake's second round of bees.  I'll be honest though.  I do like the bees because they keep the wasps away.  Bet you didn't know that.  Go get yourself some bees.

Ben went to prom.








I went to a niece's wedding and visited with family, including Jordan and Kenzie.




Brad took Ben and Riley's wisdom teeth out.  


Yes, those are the initials RB written by Brad in blood on Riley's cheeks.



After surgery recovery pictures of the two.



And, Ben graduated.  




In the meantime, while we weren't doing those things, here are some of the other things we did/are doing for fun.

Brad and Jake are building a sculling boat.






While I have been learning to row one:



It's beautiful on the lake in the morning alone.  Especially when two bald eagles, mother and child, fly overhead.  Yes, that happened.  I feel like I'm getting the hang of it.  I can make two laps around the lake.

We've been making food together.


We've been learning to shoot bows.


And trying to make arrows (which we are pretty decent at) and bows (which we still have some learning to do with)


We've been on the river.





And we've mountain biked (Brad too for recovery) and worn ourselves out doing both in 1 day.





We've hiked and picked flowers and seen pretty sunsets.




We watched top gun.



And, for the first time of the summer last week, we visited our favorite lake.
















No comments:

Post a Comment