Sunday, September 18, 2022

"Life moves pretty fast."

 The whole quote is "Life moves pretty fast.  If you don't stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."  Ferris Bueller.  This is the quote Ben posted this morning on his instagram.  Yes, Ben, life does move pretty fast...you're just beginning to see it.

Within the last week I had all the kids home plus one delightful addition who came home with Jordan, Molly.  It was a full house and such a busy two weeks spent together.  The chaos of my house, especially my laundry room, reflects the busyness of our last two weeks.  Molly and Jordan left earlier this week and just this morning at 5 am Kenzie left taking my third to college with her.  

It always makes me sad when the kids leave for the first time and this is no different.  I was going to go out for a mountain bike ride this morning to forget my sadness, that we have officially shrunk from 5 to 4, but it is raining.  

It surprises me that the sadness is so profound this morning.  Is it because everyone was home and now they are not?  Is it because I don't know how to cook dinner for 4 or shop for groceries for 4?  Is it because my dynamic duo of Ben and Riley are split up?  Is it because I do know just how fast the next 4 years will go when we will be empty nesters?  Probably a mix of all with emphasis on that last bit more than anything.  

I'm so proud of my kids and who they are becoming.  Let's be honest, it's hard being a parent.  It makes one age quickly.  Especially the teenage years.  I mean, when they are young it's hard because they have so many needs to be met.  And when they are old it's hard because maintaining order in the home while allowing them to express their independence is super hard.  When they say things like I'm 17 and the boss of myself it has to be checked somewhat with prudence in letting them know they still live in a home that is not theirs and the rules still apply while they live full time in that house and receive economic support.

Ben left badly after graduation when he went off to do pest control sales with his brother, Jordan, in Texas.  He was mad at us because we were so strict.  We were frustrated with him because he was unappreciative of what we were providing.  He e...

9-18-2022

Well, that post didn't get finished.  Wish I would have completed it, but....

I've adjusted to the kids being gone now.  Not that I'm not sad they are.  They are just so happy, together, at school.  And Brad, Riley, and Jake and I have all adjusted.  I was going to finish that last post with how much a little time on his own changed Ben.  He came back from sales super grateful and we had three wonderful weeks before he left for college.  Why am I not deleting this?  Because I like what I wrote and so you can see I have good intentions of writing and just never finish.  

So...I thought to start my posts of the summer this is a pretty good beginning.  Life does move pretty fast...if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you just might miss it.  Here's my looking around from the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment