Friday, November 25, 2011

Friday's Walk down Memory Lane 11/25/2011

Today's walk down memory lane features:  gratitude

“Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.” — William Arthur Ward


During this Thanksgiving holiday I am grateful for:

1.  My husband.  He's crazy, but fun.  He can make me laugh like no other.  He sacrificed and left a job he loved to make a better life for us, his family.  The last few years of insecurity and moving have made him doubt his decision and himself many times.  He has felt inadequate as a husband and a father because he has been unable to provide the one thing he desires for his family, stability.  My stability is him.  If I have been able to be so strong through these last 7 years of our life, it is because of him.  He is my best friend.


2.  My children.  Mother Teresa said,  "How can there be too many children?  That is like saying there are too many flowers." 




3.   My parents.  My appreciation for them increases yearly as I truly understand what it is to be a parent. 


4. My brothers and sisters.  I treasure the close relationship we still have.

5.  My religion.  It grounds me.  It helps me keep life in perspective.  It encourages me to work harder and be better.  It teaches me of my divine worth and my relationship to God and Jesus Christ.  It helps me know what's real.


6.  Moving.  Yes, I am grateful for the moving I have done in the last 7 years, well maybe I should say since I've been married.  Maybe I should include my whole life.  I've lived in 13 different places in my life(and I'm only counting city changes here, not house changes).  That's a place for every 2 1/2 - 3 years of my life.  5 of those moves have happened in the last 3 years.  Our first year out of dental school we moved 3 times.  That was a hard year and I'm glad to have it behind me.  However, had I never moved in my childhood I do not think I would be as close to my brothers and sisters as I currently am.  Had I never moved in my childhood or adulthood I would have never met the many wonderful friends who have passed in and out of my life, many of whom I still keep in touch with.  I remember meeting one of my best friends after seeing her run in LasVegas.  I was desperately looking for a person to run with so when I saw her and realized she was in my ward I quickly made it a point to bring up running with her in Relief Society.  She agreed to run with me and soon she was running more than half of my miles with me while I trained for a marathon.  She was not training.  She didn't have to run those kind of distances, but she did.  One run in particular (I think it was one of my 22 mile runs) after running the first 15 miles or so with me she didn't want to leave me alone.  So, after she was done she went home, hopped back in her van, drove to my route and brought me some food, drink and her ipod with a book on it for me to listen to the remainder of my run.  I'll never forget her kindness.  I've met many people like this throughout my moves and this is why I am grateful for the many moves I have made. 



No comments:

Post a Comment