It's one of my favorite children's books. Have you read it? In it a young donkey finds a magic pebble that grants wishes. To have the wishes granted he has to be holding the pebble. Accidentally, when he stumbles upon a lion he wishes he would turn into a rock so that the lion doesn't eat him. Unfortunately, as a rock, he can no longer hold the pebble to make wishes. When he doesn't return in the evening his parents send out a search party. The search party returns home unsuccessful in their efforts. Soon winter and spring pass and Sylvester's parents give up hope thinking that their son is gone forever. To cheer themselves up they decide to go for a picnic. It just so happens that the place they choose to set up for their picnic is Sylvester. While they are picnicking they find the rock and place it on Sylvester. Wishing that he was able to be with his parents in his normal form without knowing that he is touching the rock, Sylvester finds himself returned to his normal form as a donkey. Both parties are overjoyed at the reunion and decided to keep the pebble in a safe place.
Why am I sharing this story?
Just the other day I was in the car with Jake.
Jake says to me, "Mom, there's a book fair tomorrow at my school and I want to buy some books."
I say back to Jake, "You know I don't buy books for the book fair." I have my reasons. I'm not just a mean mom.
He says back to me, "Oh. You don't have to pay for it Mom. I have plenty of money."
To which I reply, "Oh. Where did you get that money from Jake?"
His eyes got big and round and in an excited voice but in all seriousness answered, "Oh! I was out walking the other day and I found my old wishing rock. I threw it outside the other day on accident but I found it this morning. So I made a wish that I could have one thousand dollars and Mom, I've been finding LOTS of money lately."
Just how much money you ask? One hundred and twenty nine cents. And all that from a wishing rock.
No comments:
Post a Comment