New challenges have arisen in the state of Colorado with the legalization of marijuana. For example, just a few days before Halloween this is what was sent home with my kids:
It was a nice reminder that I should be checking my kids candy after they trick or treat, but my first thought was really? Would people give out this type of candy to my children? Really??
I did check their bags and luckily no crazy packaging or tampered products were there.
We went trick-or-treating with some friends from the ward this year. Where we live there is a lot of rural neighborhoods that make it difficult to trick-or-treat in (ours included) so many people just go downtown to trick-or-treat. I always do bring several bags of candy to hand out though.
My kids made their own costumes again.
Riley was a lumberjack,
Ben, a football player,
and Jake a cowboy, vampire ghost.
You can't see it but Jacob had a pair of vampire teeth that he insisted wearing with the ghost costume. And with the sheet and all, he didn't trip one. The ghost costume took me back to the E.T. days.
They were my only three trick-or-treaters this year. I have followed the same rule my mom gave us which was no trick-or-treating after 6th grade. I dealt with Kenzie's attitude the whole day about what a mean mom I was and how ALL her friends were trick-or-treating this year. In the end, I did let her dress up and told her she could walk with her friends while they went trick-or-treating. She did and came back without any candy which I was proud of. So, I'm going to ask you all out there, when do you stop letting your kids go trick-or-treating. To be honest, maybe I am being to hard-nosed. Even most of Jordan's friends still go. Opinions? You have to stop sometime, right?
I went to see the movie, "Meet the Mormons" with Kenzie in the theaters. Funny, I had mixed feelings about the movie. I loved the stories but hated the narration because I felt like it assumed that everyone had incorrect views of us as Mormons which I don't believe. I know there are people out there who could use some more education for certain, but for the most part I feel that people know we are normal people trying to live good lives.
My favorite story was the missionary mom who was a convert to the church. What a good story of what the gospel can do when brought into the life of someone who truly is trying to do what is right by herself and her children. I also love the song by David Archuleta that goes with it. Have you heard it? You can here. It inspires me to want to do better. It'll probably go on my top favorites of all time.
Marijuana laced candy...disturbing?! I go back and forth on the trick or treat age thing too, but I did let Carter go this year. Usually we go to our ward trunk or treat and I let them participate in that. I figure as long as they are willing to actually dress up and behave it's okay. I only let him go for an hour and only around our own neighborhood. It's the swarms of obnoxious teenagers, that don't bother to dress up and carry a gigantic pillowcases that bother me. It's a tough thing though for sure.
ReplyDelete