Sunday, November 29, 2015

Déjà vu

When I was a little girl I loved playing the piano. My older sister, Missy, also was very good. Better than me because she had been taking lessons longer than me. I loved her songs. There was one song I particularly liked. I decided I was going to learn it. It was the spinning song. Here's a link to someone playing it on YouTube  I practiced and practiced and practiced. Soon, I became quite good. So good in fact, that it started to make my sister, Melissa, upset. So upset, that she started hiding her piano book from me.  True story.  We had fights over the piano book and who played the song better and she actually hid it from me so I couldn't play it.  Sorry Miss for having to rat you out;)


Recently I bought three guitars and some DVDs that teach you how to play the guitar.  I bought them for my children and in the process of watching them learn to play both Brad and I have begun to also try to learn.  Because of my piano skills, reading the music is coming quite easy to me.   So easy in fact that it is beginning to upset everyone else how quickly I am picking it up( which probably isn't that quickly at all). I keep reminding them that I already know how to read music and that is why I appear to be learning faster. As Brad and I were practicing together the other night he became frustrated with me and I could see him having to resist the urge to take the book and run away with it so I couldn't play.  I laughed to myself as the memory of Missy and the spinning song came rushing to the forefront of my memory.

Quite honestly, I am enjoying the challenge of learning this new skill.  The guitar has  such a pretty sound and has a calming affect on me after a long day at work.  Besides, it is so much easier to carry around than a piano. Maybe one day, despite the familial obstacle of jealousy I must overcome ;), I will be a true guitar hero (and hopefully they will all too!)




No comments:

Post a Comment