Saturday, January 4, 2020

Let's talk pornograpy...really let's do.

Your kids are going to see it.  They are.  Accept that now and be ready to react well and talk about it when it happens.  As much as you think you can filter their phones and what comes in to your home (which yes, you can) you can't filter the school, the media or other friend's phones. 

They are going to see it much sooner than you expect.  Every single one of my children had their first pornography exposure in elementary.

It doesn't matter whether your children are male or female, pornography will find them and it will affect and shape their attitudes.  It will come from sources you do not expect like Disney Princess fandoms.  Trust me.

Talk to them about what actions they can take if they see it.  I recently read in a book that you should teach them WOOPS to help them overcome the attraction it may have for them.  WOOP stands for wish, outcome, obstacle and plan and this method is scientifically proven to help people change their behavior.  You state what behavior you wish to change.  You write down the outcomes of this change in behavior.  You write down the obstacles in your way that may stop you.  You come up with a plan of what you will do when those obstacles present themselves to you.  The book I read was a religious book and they also said not to forget the S, the Savior can help you overcome this.

Don't shame them if they talk to you or if they mess up.  Trust me, pornography use will be much more manageable if they don't feel like you hate them or think they are disgusting for even looking at it.  If you shame, they will hide that behavior from you and that can lead to bigger unforseen issues.  See this Tedx talk.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbYWKVAeu6Y

Talk about pornography use and the consequences of it.  See this Tedx talk.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSF82AwSDiU

And finally be open and honest with language and teach them how current pornography teaches objectification of the human body and abuse and harm of individuals.  See this Tedx talk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBTb71UzPmY

I love the site fight the new drug.  It is full of helpful information to help arm your family with education about the harms of pornography use.

I could go on and on about this topic.  I really could.  I wish I could say none of my kids had ever been exposed to pornography or felt the draw of it, but then I would be lying.  Every single one has been exposed and searched for it themselves.  I've tried my best to keep the conversation open so that my children can critically think enough to turn it off when they see it, avoid the draw when they feel it calling them and, hopefully, one day be a voice to help fight against it.

No comments:

Post a Comment