Sunday, January 19, 2020

Mom - 45

I thought it would be interesting for my kids to have this for themselves one day so here's my birthday interview at 45.  It's me interviewing me.

Who is your favorite band or solo artist?  Probably Imagine Dragons if I talk about one band in particular.  I like that they have a variety of sounds and the rhythm on their songs is great.   Machine is my favorite right now.  It is great for working out to a beat and I like the lyrics.

What do you see yourself doing five years from now?  Working in Dad's office.  Maybe I'll be a grandma, maybe not.  I'll be visiting my college kids, writing my mission kids and raising Jake still.  He'll still be with me for two more years.  That is crazy to think about, only one kid left at home.  I'll be OLD.

What do you do when you feel bored?  Ha, ha, I'm never bored.  I always have something to do.  That being said, I really like reading a good book or watching This is us.

Who is your hero and Why?  I don't know that I have a hero per se.  I have lots of people that I want to be like.  I want to be kind like my Dad.  I want to be thoughtful like my Mom.  I want to have a good sense of humor like my Grandma Catherine.  I want to be well read like my Grandma Landers.  I want to serve others like my Young Women's leader Diane Anderson.  I admire people who have been knocked down and have gotten back up and have done something with their life.  

Do you have a favorite movie?    Fiddler on the Roof.  It's about family and how family flexes through challenges.  It is a beautiful story about religion and holding on to tradition.

What music makes you particularly happy?  I love show tunes from Broadway musicals.

How do you handle stress?  Hmmm, I yell.  You can always tell when I'm stressed out because I yell.  I exercise to blow off steam.  I also play the piano to calm down.

Do you like to read?  Yes,  I loved the book Educated.  It was very thought provoking and gave me good material to chew on.  I like memoirs the best I believe.

What qualities do you admire in other people?  I think I went over that in my hero section.  I admire grit, kindness, transparency, thoughfulness and people who can love unconditionally. I admire people who can laugh at life.

How would you describe your own personality?  Steady and reliable.  If I say I'm going to do something I do it. 

What was your worst moment this year? To be honest, there was a lot of drama surrounding Jordan going on a mission.  I had some pretty bad moments then that had to do with Brad and ordaining Jordan to the Melchezidek priesthood.  Brad and I dug deep during that time and came out scarred and different.  Jordan was ordained by Brad, he did go on a  mission and I couldn't be prouder of what he is doing.  

What was your best moment/moments this yea?  There were so many good ones.  Kenzie's and my road trips to see Hello Dolly, Cats, Beautiful, and the Little Mermaid, the Salmon with the whole family, the musical number Kenzie, Ben, Riley and Jake put together for Jordan's farewell, watching Ben and Riley wrestle.  I loved seeing Kenzie play Ursula...she was so GOOD!  If I had to choose just one I would choose watching my kids and husband serve their family at the Mergenthaler family reunion this summer.

Would you want to be famous?  No, but I do want to be remembered well for serving others.

Do you consider yourself a leader? Yes.

What is your favorite family recipe?  Nut bread, only I don't make it.  Brad does.

What are your favorite family traditions?  Going boating together in the summers.

What career or job do you want to have one day?   If I had to do my career over I would choose to major in business with a minor in accounting.  I think I would have been really good at that.

What is your favorite thing to do outdoors?  Cycling.

What makes you laugh?   My husband.

What makes you angry?   When I just cleaned the house and the kids don't keep it clean.

What makes you most afraid?  Drowning.

What do you enjoy doing for fun?  Puzzles.

What is your favorite color?  Blue. 

What do you dream about?  Work mostly. It must be what stresses me out the most.

What would your perfect day look like?  I'd get to go out on the boat with my kids and husband and come home to a clean house and a prepared meal.

Is there anything else you want to say before we sign off from the interview?  The best thing in my life is my family.  

1 comment:

  1. These birthday interviews are the best. Happy birthday! I told Jordan this in an email, but I’ll tell you too—you are a powerful example to me of a righteous mother. You have grit. You’re funny and fun. You think deeply about how you and Brad raise your children and do the hard things to keep your family strong.

    ReplyDelete