Saturday, August 16, 2025

Some pictures from childhood.

 So while I was at my sister's house visiting this last spring, Anjee took out some photos that she had of our family and some pictures that she had of our ancestors.  I want to keep them for posterity purposes so I'm going to post them here.  I'll do my best to explain what I remember from the ones I was present for for the ones I wasn't present for, I'll relate what I've been told about them.  I did my best to organize them according to year but I'm not sure on the year for some of them.  All of them are grouped according to places we lived.  


This is a picture of my great-great grandpa and Grandma's family on the Landers side.  My great-grandpa is in the back row between his brother (the tallest) and his sister (the first girl on the back row).


This is another picture of Capitola's (my great-great grandma on the Lander's side) family.  They are celebrating some special birthday of hers.  She is the small lady, third row, in the middle with the hat on.  My mom, my Grandma and Grandpa and their son, Lee (who passed when my mom was 2 or 3) are all pictured.  Grandpa is in the middle on the back row with the bowtie.  Grandma is just below him holding my mom on her lap.   Lee is one of the boys in front.  I'm not sure which one.


This is a picture of my Dad from when he first started teaching I believe.  Not 100% sure but I know it isn't his senior picture.  So stylish in his corduroy jacket.

Dad, Missy and Mom at the beach.  I think Mom was pregnant with Anjee at the time.


Anjee on the left and Missy holding me when I was a baby.


Anjee on the left, Mom, me and Missy on the right.  Mom made the matching dresses.  It was probably Easter.


Anjee, Me, Missy


Dad holding Rick as a baby at Grandma Catherine's house.


Mom holding Rick one year later would be my guess?


My Aunt Nora in my Grandma's kitchen.  Me at the table.  Don't know who the other lady is here.


Before I go on, you must know that my Grandma lived in this house from the time I was born until she died.  My family moved around a lot.  Dad was always wanting to coach at different schools maybe because he wanted to coach bigger teams, or felt the politics of the town were too tense, or because they were cutting budgets.  So, because we moved so much, Grandma's house was the one place that felt like home because it was a constant.  We visited frequently.

Me at Grandma's table.



Me, Anjee and Missy...same year, kid table.  Grandma always made the best breakfasts and dinners.  She always made sure we were fed well.  The kids always sat at the kid table.  I'm pretty sure this must have been Christmas morning breakfast.


Aunt Kathy with Travis on the fireplace.  Me with the doll.  Grandpa Joe in his chair.


Dad holding Me on the left and Rick on the right.


Anjee, Missy and me.  


Me, Rick on the floor, Mom in the chair.


Mom and Aunt Nora.


Me, Travis and Aunt Kathy.


Me and Aunt Kathy.


Me in Grandma's all pink bathroom.  I can still smell the Dove soap.


Mom


Nativity at my Grandma's house.  Maia is on the far left.  Shawna is Mary, Anjee is an angel...not sure who is standing beside her (maybe Missy, it has to be her) but I'm the donkey.  In the background is Grandma's flocked noble fir tree.



Mom holding Rick, me, Anjee, Missy.  Mom made the outfits.


Me, Anjee, Missy.


Mom


Dad


Missy, Rick, me, Anjee.  I loved that ballerina doll of Anjee's.  We're at Grandma's house again.  You can tell by the tree.


Ricky...Christmas at Grandma's again.


Dad in the chair and Uncle pat in the doorway.  


Dad.  Mom got cut out of the picture for some reason but that is her shirt and arms.


Me and Missy.  I hated those curlers.  I still remember how much they made my head hurt when I slept.


Me.  I'm pretty sure this is our house.


Dad and Mom


Mom and Dad.  I don't know whose birthday it is.  His or hers.


Me and Missy


Anjee, me, Rick at my birthday.  It has to be my birthday because I requested that cake and my mom made it for me.


Mom and Dad in back.  Rick, Me, Missy, Anjee in front.  Mom made the outfits.  Easter.


I think this one is Anjee's birthday but I'm not sure.  In the back are:  Tina (Karina), Anjee, Maia, Missy.  Grandma is in the middle with me to her right.  Travis and Rick are in front.  Anjee and I used to fight over Tina and who was better friends with her.  Karina has schizoprenia now.  She started showing sign in her teens.


Grandpa Joe (my step-grandpa) reading a story to Anjee, Rick, Missy and me.


Left to right:  Me, Tina, Anjee, Rick, Maia, Missy and Travis


So...quick story for this photo.  We're on our way to see my grandpa and grandma Landers and to go to Disney World.  They lived in Georgia at the time.  Long road trip for us.  Matt was just born so we were living in Dillon.  I must have been seven.  Anjee had invited my Grandma Katherine (Dad's mom) to come with us without my mom's permission and Grandma accepted.  We, the kids, loved it...but it was probably more than a little awkward for my mom.  People in the picture left to right:
Grandma Katherine, Anjee, me, Missy, Mom, Matt, Rick...Mount Rushmore in the background.


Rick, Anjee, me, Missy, Dad and Matt


Rick, Anjee, me, Missy, Dad, Matt


We stopped at a lot of places on the way to Georgia.  This was one of the visitor's centers for the church.  Anjee is on the left, me in the middle, Rick on the right.


Rick, Missy, me and Anjee


I put this one here because I'm pretty sure it is the same trip and we are at the beach.  Anjee on the left and Missy on the right.  I may be wrong on the timeline.


Easter, the dresses and lily's are a dead give away.  I'm on the left, Rick and Missy in the back.  


Grandma's porch easter picture with the cousins.  Left to right: Rick, Tina, Missy, Me, Maia (back), Travis (front), Anjee.  Now before I leave this picture I loved Grandma's porch.  We spent a lot of time out there and in the summer she'd have tons of flowers out there and I thought it was so pretty.  No flowers at Easter...Helena is still very cold at that time of year.


Tina and I at the kids table.


Back:   Aunt Kathy, Tina, Maia
Middle:  Anjee, me rick, Missy
Front:  Travis


Easter in Dillon:
Grandma in the back.  Rick, Anjee, me and Missy.


Same Easter with Mom and Dad in the back.  Me, Rick Anjee and Missy.  Again, mom made the outfits.  I'm pretty sure that in the field behind our house there was an abandoned house we used to play in and that when we moved into this house there was a mouse that mom was scared of and she stood on top of a chair and screamed.


Same Easter front of the house:  Dad is in the back.  Grandma, mom, Missy, me in the middle.  Anjee and Ricky in the front.


Anjee and me.


Me


Mom in the back.  Anjee, Matt, Missy and me in front.


Matt and Dad. Dad would have been 31.  Smoky as a puppy or it might be buttons.  I don't know.


Grandma Katherine and Grandpa Joe at my church baptism.  Pretty sure that happened in Dillon but may have been Elma.  Mom made the dress.  


Me, Anjee and Tina at my baptism. 


Christmas.  Anjee, Mom, me and Missy.  Mom made the dresses.


A birthday party...for who I don't know and I don't know most of the people in the picture.  Rick is in front.  Someone is holding Matt, he's the baby.  Missy in in the middle in an outfit mom made us.  We each had one like it.  I'm to Missy's right.  The only other person I know in the picture is Michelle.  She was my best friend and is standing to the right of Ricky.  I bet you it was Missy's birthday party.


Dad coaching the Dillon Beavers.  We went to every game and we had little cheer leader outfits that our mom made for us.  They took 2nd in state that year...I think.  Definitely placed at state.  I remember the bus ride, how nice the high school cheerleaders were (they let us cheer with them and taught us a song on the bus called Calgon take me away...maybe it was an ad or a skit..."Wash the dishes, clean the floor, Calgon take me away), and that we had fat fries with our dinner.  Funny memory here thinking of basketball games...Mom used to make us our own bags of popcorn.  Also, after the games we would be set loose and our favorite place to go was under the bleachers to find yummy food that people had dropped and we'd eat it.  That's why I have such a great immune system.




Now we're in Elma for sure.  That is our dog smoky and a cat we had on our front porch....Strawberry hill.  Left to right:  Rick, Dad, Missy, Matt (in the coat can't see his face) Anjee, Mom, Me....my usual stomach out pose.  Mom made the outfits.

Family photo same year...same dresses and suits.  Left to right in back:  Dad, Missy, Anjee
Left to right below:  Mom, Matt, Me, Rick


Elma, our front yard somewhere. In the back: Dad and he is holding Matt.  Anjee and Missy are in the middle.  Rick and I in the front.  Classic picture stance for me.


Matt, Dad, rick and Travis


Mom and Dad


Tina, me, Missy, Anjee and Kaden.


Aunt Kathy and Grandma.  I remember they it was a very windy day and we were visiting the Olympic forest and Aunt Kathy and Grandma were worried about their hair.


Anjee, Me, Maia and Missy.  The legs are Tina on the left and Aunt Kathy on the right.


Dad and Matt.


Back:  Mom, Missy, Dad Matt
Front:  Anjee, me, Rick


Me and Anjee at Grandma's...easter.  Mom made the dresses.


Missy, Matt and Mom in the back.
Me, Rick and Anjee in the front


Visiting the capitol, Olympia, to see the pretty trees.  Matt, Anjee, Missy, Rick and me.


Me fourth grade I think.


Missy, Anjee in back, Me, Rick in front.  Rick is holding Matt.  Mom made the dresses.  This is out of order.  Must be a Christmas in Dillon.


Same time...same order of people.


Matt, Rick, me, Anjee, Missy.  Easter.  Drop waist dresses made by mom.


Grandma


Anjee, Missy holding Matt, me.  Rick in front of Anjee.




Me, Missy, Anjee, Mom, Dad.  They must have attended the temple or something since they are dressed so fancy and we aren't.  Kind of some awkward years here for all three of us(Missy, Anjee and I).  I stayed there (being awkward) until I went to college.  Mom made the outfits we were wearing.

Really...pretty awful hair for me.  Was I trying to look 30 as a 12 year old?  Got to wonder.  Missy is wearing a banana clip here which we all thought was so cool.
Matt, Kaden in front.  Me, Rick in the middle.  Anjee, Missy in the back.


Matt, Kaden in front me and Rick behind.


Mom


Me, Anjee, Missy, Rick


I'm pretty sure we were on our way to Expo in 1986.  It's the shorts that let me know.  Mom made them and I thought the Hawaain shorts and shirts were SUPER COOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment