Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My favorite scene, character and quote from Steel Magnolias and a recap of Brad's and Jordan's fishing trip

So I watched Steel Magnolias last Sunday like I said I was going to and I loved it just as much this time as I remember loving it in the past.  It's very few movies that can make you laugh and cry at the same time which is what I found myself doing after M'Lynn had just broken down after Shelby's funeral and says she wants to hit someone.  Clairee then grabs Ouiser and the following conversation then takes place.

Clairee:   "Here!  Hit this!  Go ahead M'Lynn, slap her!"
Ouiser:  "Are you crazy?"
Clairee:  "Hit her!"
Ouiser:  "Are you high Clairee?"
Truvy:  "Clairee have you lost your mind?"
Clairee:  "We'll sell t-shirts saying, 'I slapped Ouiser Beudreaux'.  Hit her!
Annelle:  "Ms. Clairee, enough!"
Clairee:  "Ouiser, this is your chance to do something for your fellow man!  Knock her lights out M'Lynn!"
Ouiser: "Let go of me!"
Clairee:  "M'Lynn you just missed a chance of a lifetime!  Half o' Chiquapin Parish'd give their eye teeth to take a whack at Ouiser!"

My favorite character in the movie is Ouiser.  She just cracks me up.  I love when she frankly admits to her friend after he tells her she hasn't changed a bit, "I'm not as sweet as I used to be."  Got to love Ouiser.  I almost couldn't pick between her and Shelby's Dad, Drum, in the movie.  He also has great character and as I watched it I couldn't help but realize that his character could have been based off of my own husband's real life character and personality.  Seriously, Brad would totally do the shooting the arrow into the tree loaded with fireworks thing.

I love the cycle of life it portrays.  Since it started with spring and the wedding I feel it was totally fitting to end the movie in Spring with the birth of Anabelle's baby that she was going to name Shelby.
My favorite quote is the following from Sally Field's character M'Lynn: "I realize as a woman how lucky I am. I was there when that wonderful creature drifted into my life and I was there when she drifted out. It was the most precious moment of my life."  I don't think there is a quote that more clearly captures the miracle of motherhood, is there?

Such a good movie.  However, I will warn you that there are some bare bums in the locker room scene that I totally forgot about.  So if your children are watching it with you, which mine were, be forewarned.


Brad and Jordan had a great fishing trip together.  Well, Jordan did get food poisoning and throw-up all over the tent and sleeping bag, but I think other than that, they enjoyed the weekend.

They fished,





caught fish,





hiked,

(Why do men have to be such posers?)

rested,





fished some more,


(Look how deep he is!  It makes me nervous just looking at the picture!)


caught more fish,





saw some beautiful country,





and camped.


(and threw up, this is taken right after the incident)


Of course, my husband wouldn't be pleased at all if I didn't put in the picture of his trophy fish.  (Drum roll please)



Can you see that monster?  Brad was VERY proud:)

2 comments:

  1. sometimes you post pics of jordan and it looks like a snapshot right from my childhood memory, as if somehow brad has never aged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that movie too and I totally agree that is my favorite part too- it's so funny.

    That is some amazing fish- he should be so proud.

    ReplyDelete