Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sunday Reflections 10/02/2011

 Ever since he was little Jordan has been obsessed with lights.

Jordan, age 4, with first headlamp
I don't know if a Christmas has gone by since the time he was two that he has not asked for some sort of light or other for Christmas.  So when I saw these:


at Ross Dress for Less a month ago, I knew they would make the perfect stocking stuffer for Jordan this year and I purchased them.  Fast forward in time to this last Friday.  Jordan needed some new shoes.  I went to Kohls to look for some, but all I could see were shoes that cost $50+ dollars and I wasn't about to spend that on a pair of shoes for him.  I have a hard enough time spending money like that on a pair of shoes for me.  Yes, I'm cheap, but how can I not be cheap growing up a daughter of a teacher?  So, where to go?  Ross Dress for Less.  I'll just come out of the closet now:  I shop at Ross Dress for Less.  Jordan and I enter Ross Dress for Less and he has some money to spend.  He specifically at this time, wants to purchase a head lamp.  Why?  Well, last week he and his Dad went dirtbiking and ended up having to ride to the truck in the dark and he thought it would be a good idea to have a headlamp for situations such as these.  So, Jordan walks over to the electronics shelf and he does happen to find a headlamp.  Great!  I was hoping he would find one.  In this process of finding the headlamp though, he finds THE SAME FLASHLIGHTS that I had bought prior to this for his stocking stuffer and WANTS TO BUY THEM TOO. Soon thereafter, ensues the fight between us where he insists he can buy both sets of flashlights and I insist, seemingly irrational, that he cannot buy the set of three flashlights, he can only buy the headlamp because that is what he came for.  Jordan and I can argue like this for hours.  It's not a knock you down, yell argument, but more an argument of the wits and I clearly did not have the superior hand in the fight because I could not reveal the true reason I would not allow him to purchase these flashlights.  As I was about to lose the argument, I remembered that he owed me $5 for bullying one of his siblings the other day and that this alloted him only $5 to spend which was the price of the head lamp.  With this the disagreement was settled, just barely, by getting him to agree that he would rather purchase the headlamp for now and come and get the flashlights another time.  Little does he know, between now and Christmas he will not be returning to Ross Dress for Less.  Note to self:  do not let children go to store or department of store where you have purchased a Christmas gift for them when they have money to buy it themselves. 

Jordan, age 11, most recent headlamp purchase

It is fly season.  I hate flies.  I hate mice.  I hate doors left open by kids because they let flies and mice in.  I hate sticky doorknobs. I hate fingerprints on the window.  I hate dog prints on the window from the other side when Red looks so pitifully in.  No, you can't come in Red, no.  Of course, Jake sneaks him in every now and then.  Yesterday he (Red, the dog) made it as far back as the office.  Speaking of yesterday, pets and Jake...Yesterday Jake comes to me very proud and tells me he has a purse.  I can not figure out why he is so proud.  He is just smiling from ear to ear.  Then I hear the soft, quiet, "meow".  Yes, He was proud because he fit the kitten into his purse and he thought he could bring it in the house and trick me. 



Tricky kids....in fact, as I'm writing this, I just saw out of the corner of my eye, a red flash that looked like a dog...really, it is my dog and I'm sure it was Jake that let him in. I must go and let him out....

I'm back now.  I had to chase Red out.  Imagine me, my 36 year old self, chasing a puppy (who's fast) around my tile living room trying to catch him.  It's a ridiculous scene, I know.  It's not enough that I have to chase my kids into the kitchen when they eat elsewhere, out the door to go to school, or out of my bathroom when I'm taking a shower, now I'm chasing a dog out of my house too!  What was I thinking when I let Jordan get that dog?  Okay, okay, I'll admit I kind of like the dog...just not when he's in my house making me chase him to get him out.

No comments:

Post a Comment