Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sunday reflections 1/22/2012

Just to give you an idea of what it is to live in a house with 4 boys, 1 girl and a Dad who is half boy himself, yesterday during family breakfast the topic of discussion was the following: in a battle between the Hulk and Luke Skywalker, who would win? The kids took the side of the Hulk due to his great strength and Brad took the side of Luke Skywalker as he is a Jedi and has defeated many other monsters known for their great strength. The discussion went on for 30 minutes. I refrained from commenting.

Jake has officially asked that we refer to him henceforth and forever as batman.  Jacob Mitchell Batman at times suffices, but mostly it is just Batman.

Is there anything cuter than a 3 year old singing? I think not. Even better if it's a 3 year old batman.


I'm reading the book Jane Eyre and am enjoying it immensely.

One of my favorite parts is the following conversation Jane has with herself when Mr. Rochester asks her to be his wife, regardless of the fact that he is already married and tells her that she has no relations that she need fear to disgrace should she choose to live with him.

This was true: and while he spoke my very conscience and reason turned traitors against me, and charged me with crime in resisting him. They spoke almost as loud as Feeling: and that clamoured wildly. "Oh, comply!" it said. "Think of his misery; think of his danger--look at his state when left alone; remember his headlong nature; consider the recklessness following on despair--soothe him; save him; love him; tell him you love him and will be his. Who in the world cares for YOU? or who will be injured by what you do?"

Still indomitable was the reply--"I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself. I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad--as I am now. Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation: they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigour; stringent are they; inviolate they shall be. If at my individual convenience I might break them, what would be their worth?

Speaking of books I've read, I recently saw The Help and Water For Elephants.  The Help was superbly done and may have been even better than the book.  As for Water For Elephants, you may just want to skip the movie altogether.

Kenzie has started basketball and we went to her first game yesterday.  It's fun to watch her play and have her practice with me at home.  I'd given up any hope of the boys playing basketball, but with Kenzie practicing so much, they are also starting to take some interest.  I may just have some ball players come out of the Belt family yet.

So for my birthday Brad took me out to a fancy restaurant.  We don't usually go to fancy restaurants, but we had a $100 gift certificate for the restaurant and you have to use gift certificates, right?  It was almost like a scene from the Beverly Hillbillies as we drove up in our filthy pickup (remember that we live up a mile dirt road) with our garbage cans in back to find out there was complimentary valet service too.  If I had only known the restaurant had valets...

1 comment:

  1. The jury is still out on the hulk vs Luke skywalker, it will take some more deep thought for that answer. I love the mental image of the restaurant scene, hilarious,especially with the garbage cans!!

    ReplyDelete