Yes, I'm behind again. Behind by a million pictures. Behind by a million experiences...okay maybe not a million but certainly behind by a million thoughts and emotions.
Time is passing quickly and it is 5-6 months since my last post. Much has happened during that time. Not all happy but certainly all opportunities for growth.
Once February was over and High School wrestling season was complete, I had some days of rest. Spring Break was coming upon us quickly and Brad was taking a continuing education course on IV sedation so I would have a unique opportunity to have the kids for spring break. We used to have junior high wrestling during this time and I would spend the time with the wrestlers while Brad would give the high school kids a break from wrestling usually taking them back country skiing to get out of the mud. The last few years we've had no wrestling and I don't like staying home so I've traveled to visit people on my own during spring break. This year, due to Brad's CE, I had Riley and Jake all to myself. I decided we were definitely leaving our mountain town (it's the muddy season here during March) and going somewhere warm for spring break. After much deliberation, and a little arguing with Riley, I decided to head down to Zion national park and Las Vegas.
We headed out Wednesday morning with just Jake, Riley and I.
The desert scenery as you travel to Zion from here really is quite lovely. We passed through Page and, as always, got out to take pictures at the Lake Powell dam.
We have a close friend who owns some property rentals in the town of Hilldale, Utah. If you know anything about Hilldale you will know that it is a town that straddles two states, Arizona and Utah and was a refuge for the FLDS who practice polygamy. It is also near Zion national park. I loved just being in the town because I know so much about their history and polygamy with my many years of studying the subject so that was a great experience for me to be there. On the flip side, the time change between the two cities as we went across the Arizona/Utah border to buy groceries left me baffled at to what time it really was. That was important because we had drawn a permit to hike Angel's landing the next day and we had to get it done by noon.
We woke up at six to head out to Zion's and start our hike to Angel's landing. I had my email with the permit on my phone. The boys, as soon as we got to the path, took off without me. I've learned it's always a race with boys. So I did my thing and they did their thing and beat me to the beginning of Angel's landing by probably 15 minutes.
You have to have a copy of the permit AND your license when you get to the beginning of the Angel's landing hike. Good thing I read instructions. Wait, I didn't read the instructions at all and when I got to the ranger, I didn't have my license and I didn't have reception to access the copy of my license or my email through my phone. The ranger was easy on me and asked me my date of birth and my email and let me up. Lucky us.
I was terrified ascending Angel's landing. The exposure was much more extreme than I realized it would be. The only thing that propelled me to the top was the thought that my boys were ahead of me and I didn't want them to think that their mom was a wimp. So I pushed on, looking only at the trail ahead of me, willing myself to not look down. In my mind I would repeat mantras like "Just keep swimming" and "One step, one step, one step" while I willed myself to look perfectly normal so the other hikers around me wouldn't think I was terrified. The boys could see that I was terrified though and they did stay close to me to make sure I got up. With their help and my mental toughness I got up. It was worth it. The views were amazing. Some of us were more brave with their pictures (Jake) than others.







.jpg)

.jpg)






























No comments:
Post a Comment