So we were engaged and had scheduled our wedding for the end of April. So typical of Brad, the day we chose acutally happened to be his mother's birthday which he didn't remember until his mother mentioned something to him about it. She was a good sport about it all and we went ahead with the scheduled date.
We picked out a ring and the jeweler told us it wouldn't be ready for two weeks.
I didn't have a car when I attended BYU but Brad did. Once we were dating seriously he would pick me up from work every evening. Soon after we had picked out the ring, Brad picked me up from work and said he wanted to take me out to dinner. Tired at the end of a long day and grateful for a break from having to cook for myself I took him up on the offer and we went to Los Hermanos, a mexican restaurant in Provo, to eat. After dinner he said he wanted to go for a walk in the park. I really didn't want to. It was cold and there was a foot of snow on the ground and I was in a dress and nylons (I worked at the MTC) so I said, "Let's do it another time Brad". Undeterred by my reluctance he told me that he had an old pair of work pants in the car that I could put on. I still resisted. He said he would carry me through any deep snow. He was so intent on taking this walk that I finally gave in. He dressed me in his work clothes and exiting from the vehicle I felt like the abominable snowman. He did carry me through the deep snow and put me down when we came to a clear path. We were walking and talking when all of the sudden Brad points in a certain direction and says, "Look over there. What is that?" Off in the distance you could see a light glowing. I replied that I didn't know to which he answered, "Let's go take a closer look." As we got closer, you could see that on a park bench there was a lantern, a dozen roses, a letter and a radio playing some romantic music. It suddenly dawned on me, this was SOMEONE'S engagement site and they were sure to arrive any second. I told Brad as much and begged him to leave. Brad turns to me and says, "I need some pointers. Let's go see what's over there." One could not put it past Brad, and I certainly didn't, to be so bold as to look at another's engagement scene. "BRAD! You can't do that! Let's get out of here." Incredulous that he could be so rude, I watched as Brad actually picked up the letter that sat on the bench and bean to read it. "BRAD!" I said embarrassed. I hadn't budged an inch from where I first stood and wasn't about so Brad came back, picked me up and set me down in front of the scene. As he got down on his knee and pulled out my ring (which wasn't supposed to be done for another week) I finally realized, this was my engagement. The roses, music and letter were for me.
FYI: I didn't have a bad hair dye job in these pictures. Remember, I had just returned from Argentina and my hair was mostly still blonde from being outside all the time there in the summer and was turning back to it's normal color when I returned to the winter in Provo. I hated my engagement pictures for that reason, but like the Argentines say, "¿Qué va a hacer?"



And didn't we receive an engagement photo with Brad and some Asian girl superimposed on your photo. As I have often said about his dad, "Life is never dull with him around." Like father, like son. Ron took me to the top of the Wilk but didn't realize he had to ask for a key, so instead of the diamond deck, we got engaged in the top of the stairwell to the diamond deck. Say hi to the kids and congrats on your engagement. MOM
ReplyDelete