Kenzie scored her first points in a basketball game yesterday. WAY TO GO KENZIE!!!!! Again, no pictures taken...I openly admit that my neglect with the pictures makes me somewhat of a failure as a mother. As a plus for my parenting I am helping coach her team and have spent a lot of time lately at home showing her drills she can do to improve her fundamental skills. At times my coaching conflicts with what the head coach tells her. For example, I told her to keep her arm that is not dribbling out in front of her as she dribbles to protect the ball from the defender. Her coach told her yesterday not to do that. He told her she would get called for a foul. In the car I told her to do it anyway. I find myself telling her to ignore the coach a little more than I should. As grateful as I am for the time they spend with my children, volunteer parent coaches from the YMCA or city parks and rec aren't always the most qualified to teach my children the skills they need. I can see a big difference between the club wrestling coaches that my boys have this year (this is the first time any of my children have ever been in a sports club) vs. the coaches they have had at the YMCA and city league sports they've participated in. I won't even mention the coach that Jordan had in football this last fall...I'll just let you judge. Their team not only lost every game, they never even scored a touchdown. Not one. I don't know if they ever even got out of the opposing team's end zone. It was a sad season. To be fair I know there are some great parent coaches out there. Jordan's team in Idaho was excellently coached and my opinion has nothing to do with how much they won. As I listen and watch what Kenzie's coach is teaching her I think more and more that club sports are really worth all the extra money you spend on them.
What did we work on all day yesterday after the ball game? Valentines. We had arguments about girls stickers and boy stickers...you do know that it is not okay to give a girl a BOY valentine and it's not okay to give a boy a GIRL valentine and Kenzie informed me she was NOT going to be giving away any that said "BE MY VALENTINE" or "HEY VALENTINE" or "LOVE" lest the card be misinterpreted. I say we should just bag valentines all together like they do in Jr. High and High School cause I don't really enjoy making any kind of paper crafts (I know another score against me as a mother) and the store bought ones are just too risky.
I stumbled upon Ben's valentines on Friday as I was cleaning and was taken by surprise at the effort he put into them.
Uh, Ben...there's a place to write your name on the card. That's what I thought when I first saw them.
Then I turned the hand written cards over.
Each one had it's own personal note attached. Wasn't that thoughtful?
As the other children were personalizing their valentines, Jordan (who doesn't have to give out valentines this year) was busy recording some videos. Just to let you see the ego I have to deal with here's my favorite video he took. I had to use you tube with both of these because I struggled uploading them to blogger. Here's the link.
http://youtu.be/UJwEQI2_nSE
Even with his ego I love that boy.
On a side note, one of our wrestler parents sent me a video he took of Jordan wrestling. It was his 2nd match, he took 1st in this tournament. He's learned quite a bit more since then. He had other videos of the matches that he wrestled that are better but they are too long, so I chose the shortest one. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-bekRlwXHw&feature=youtu.be
Tell Jordan we got a kick out of his video--and even candidates at the Employment office were chuckling as they watched. His spiel so reminds me of Brad and his ego exploding all over his growing, hormonal-ridden being. Love MOM
ReplyDeleteHey, Jordan, did anybody ever tell you . . . "You are a pro!!"
ReplyDelete